Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question on trolling

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question on trolling

Ive always just jig fished, but ive watched these guys trolling, spider riging whatever you may call it and Im ready to try it. To get to my question what kind of tackel do i need for this kind of fishing or is it not much different than jig fishing. Ill be fishing Reelfoot Lake and Wappapello Lake. Im sure that ill look real funny out there till i get the hang of handling 4 pole at one time but I do thank you for the help and advise.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm no pro.aint done it long myself.I started by getting 8 10-14 ft rods.GPS to watch my speed and 1/2to 3/4 oz lead.Already had lots of jigs.I think it is best to just start with 1 jig or hook per rod. I first tried with 2 per rod, what a mess I had.Look around on CDC for differnt set ups.Hope this helps. I learn something new every time I go!
    FISH 55

Post Thanks / Like

I have never been on reelfoot but I understand that it is loaded with stumps and shallow. If you arent getting hung up you are in the wrong place. I would use light wire hooks and or a jig with weed guard. put as many hooks on as many lines as the law will allow and go fishing. Light wire hooks will pull loose and the weedguard is less likely to get hung up. Seasoned crappie fishermen get a lot of practice tying knots. Get you some !!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Go with someone who does it, that is the easiest way to learn. It ain't rocket science, but it is helpful to learn hands on from someone who is experienced.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Longer poles out in front of the boat help keep the lines out of the TM....

Try a combination of jigs and minnows set at different depths until the crappie tell you what they want...every day is different...

There will be less tangles if you start out with 1 bait per pole...

Keep an eye on the line (not just the rod tip)....if your spider riggin and 1 line (from the rod tip to the water) is at a different angle than the others..it either has a fish on it or it's hung on something....

Set your boat up so that you don't have to get up for anything (bait, tackle, live well, net, lunch,etc.)..you have to stay on that TM constantly to keep control of the boat when spider riggin multiple poles....
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Cool My Setup

I use the Tite Lok Ultra rod holders. I don't recomend them for a couple of reasons. 1. They are big & bulky & hard to store. 2. The "T" top screws break & strip off. If I had done a little more reasearch I woulda gone with B-ready, Hitech, or driftmasters.

I use the Wally Marshall 12' signature series & the 14' Tightline specials. The Silstar rods are good spider rigging rods to start out with. They are pretty reasonable pricewise & hold up well. I don't like anything shorter than 12' but I guess that's a personall preferance. I run 8 off the front & can run 6 off the back. I use the Wally Marshall Bait cast reels. Not the little ones, the full size. I got a garage full of those little bait casters that I have stripped out. I like the good drag cause I often catch big drum, bass, & catfish while spider rigging. I also like the bait casters cause I can thumb the spool & pull off exact lengths of line as needed to adjust depth. I spool with 6# or 8# Vicious hi-vis yellow line. That Wally Marshall line is hard to beat for the price though. You can buy enough to go around the earth twice for less than $10.

I lay a piece of high quality orange electrical tape long ways between my first 3 sets of guides. I just cut it to measure, lay it long ways with the rod & roll it over on the rod nice & smooth. This helps me see the tips & also strengthens the tip. I have never broke 1 of my tips. I also put a piece of orange tape at 1' & 2' from the reel seat. This way I can quickly measure off line to adjust depth. Just pull to the tape line. I also put a big plastic/glass bobber stop bead between the first & second guide back from the tip. Some of my buddies showed me this. If you're looking away & get a hit it will click on the rod & guides, after a while you''ll almost be able to tell which rod is getting hit.

I would also invest in a good drift sock. long handled dip net & a GPS.

I usually use a 1 jig setup. I use a 1/8 oz jig with a 3/8 to 1/2 oz egg sinker about 18" above the jig. I usually tip with a minnow in the winter & spring. I like to try & keep my speed around .5 mph. I will slow down or speed up as the fish dictate. Just remember, as you speed up your presentation will ride higher in the water colume.
    Last edited by Wiskers; 01-25-2011 at 08:38 PM.
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rnvinc View Post
    Set your boat up so that you don't have to get up for anything (bait, tackle, live well, net, lunch,etc.)..you have to stay on that TM constantly to keep control of the boat when spider riggin multiple poles....
    Not if ya get a Terrova with I-pilot, it drives itself and leaves you to fish.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

Good info Wiskers. Do you have any pictures of that setup that you can share?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JigMaster View Post
    Good info Wiskers. Do you have any pictures of that setup that you can share?
    The weather sucks today so maybe I can snap a few pictures of how I've got my rods set up.
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Here's Some Rod Pics

First 2 pictures shows the 2 pieces of tape I use to measure by. Third pic. shows the bead. 4th & 5th pictures shows the reel, tip, sinker and Velcro strap I use to hold my tip when I store the rods. I was wrong about how far I went back with the orange tape. I went back to between the 3rd & 4th eyes.

At first I was a little embarrassed at how dirty my rod looked. Then I realized they wouldn't look dirty if they didn't catch fish! :D

Name:  spiderrod5.jpg
Views: 916
Size:  61.2 KBName:  spiderrod4.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  62.8 KBName:  spiderrod3.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  38.3 KBName:  spiderrod2.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  58.8 KBName:  spiderrod1.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  54.7 KB