Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ice fishing smithville

Post Thanks / Like

Default ice fishing smithville

okay ive brushed up on my ice safety got everything i need for ice fishing.ive got one cove deepest water 55 feet im sure they are there if i can find them.heres my questions.first off do you think its safe enough[ i will measure as i go out].has anybody been out on the ice yet?would you fish cover or structure?do any of you smithville guys want to go with me this week?any tips or tricks are helpful.

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely try over structure, if you have a gps the coordinates are on Burton’s website or pm me and I’ll shoot you some. Many brush piles are not far from the bank. Where did you find 55 fow of water on Smithville? I didn’t think there was anywhere on the lake with much over 45. They most likely won’t be that deep anyway. Some of you might but I’ve never really hear of any fish being caught up there over 20 foot deep. Good luck, be SAFE and keep us posted!

Post Thanks / Like

Me personally? I'd try up river first. Coves with deep channels cutting through them, and try finding structure near a drop off. I just think the ice would be safer up there, esp. in a cove and not over the main channel. I haven't scoped it out yet but it is supposed to be warmer on Saturday. It's got me thinking about going.

I was gonna drill a hole or two at Watkins Mill first. If the ice there is 8" then Smithville's should be at least 6...if last year is any indication.

Let us know how it goes, and if you're going Saturday, I might be interested. Have to dig some stuff out, but...

Post Thanks / Like

maybe sailboat cove?

snake,I've been on the ice before...but I'm getting a little older and thinking more about my mortality....I'll never do it alone again..I put a post about ice fishing on 2-5 up somewhere if your interested.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys,ive got my wife with me today,told her were mostly scouting but she still wants to go,gota love her.were starting out behind the vistors center,looks like a good spot.then were heading to spot 13 on the hot spots map,i have good luck there at other times.thanks for the tips,ill let ya know how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snakedodger View Post
    thanks guys,ive got my wife with me today,told her were mostly scouting but she still wants to go
    Make sure ya holler real loud from the bank"RUN" when ya hear the ice cracking-she has to have time to grab the sled with all the gear!

Post Thanks / Like

Seen someone on Smithville on the ice Saturday out from the dam had a tent set up , you guys can have the ice I'll set in my boat in the Garage and dream!!!!!
    May all your live wells be full.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

well of course no fish.the ice was 7" and crystal clear.i will keep at it until i find them.i'll let you guys know when i do find them.i think a chainsaw will be much easier than a hand auger, after 5 holes i was done drillin.

Post Thanks / Like

I caught some gils through the ice in some of the smaller lakes and ponds in the area . 5-7" of good safe ice . 4" in minimum for me . Be carefull with this thaw coming on . The ice can become soft and dangerous very quick . I use a spud to check the thickness ahead as I walk . If it goes though in a few hits , I back off .

Post Thanks / Like

snakedodger, did you give up on the pay dock or did the fish give up? Maybe to ice fish I would try the old road bed up in roberts branch .............. bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast