Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Depth of structure

crappiejubalee Guest

Default Depth of structure

First time post on crappie.com. Next weekened I plan on dropping down some willow trees tied to an 80 lbs hardened bag of concrete. I was told by a fishing guide to use a 15' willow tree. Does anyone know what kind of willow tree? Weepin or black willow? Also what would a good depth be for year round crappie fishing? 25-30 ft water with a 15 ft? Thanks for any info.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Jub ....

I don't know where you are, or even if that would make a difference - but, I was told by Terry Oldham (Oldham's Jigs) that Willow trees make great Crappie attractors. He told me that him and other Texas anglers, that fish these trees, catch more Crappie OVER the trees ... than down in them. He makes one of the weedless jigheads that I like to use ... so I know he has no fear of putting his jigs down in the branches. He just remarked that the Crappie seemed to more than likely be suspended above the tree, than underneath or inside it's canopy. If I were placing a 15ft tree ANYWHERE ... it would be in at least 25ft of water !! And I'd be sure that the water level would never drop low enough to expose it.
    I don't know "which" Willow tree, if any, is best ........ but, I do know that Weeping Willows along the bank of any lake, pond, or stream is a magnet for Bass & Bluegill (waiting for the miriad of bugs, that hang out in them, to make the fatal mistake of falling off :D ). I'd venture to say that Crappie (esp Black Crappie) would be another fish species that would be hanging around them, too !! ............ luck2ya ..... cp

Post Thanks / Like

The only real problem with willows is they decompose alot faster than other woods.Youll have to freshen them up every other year.One of the best woods Ive found up north is Hedge or Ozark Orange as they call it down south.Ive got a few of these that are 5year s old and still holding up.

crappiejubalee Guest

Thanks a lot for the advice guys. Yes I am on Toledo Bend in East Texas. The guide I fished with did tell me Willows were best trees but do de-compose in 2 years. Thanks for the depth info. Wooo Crappie!!!!!!