Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rod making

Post Thanks / Like

Default rod making

I know a lot of crappie fishermanmake their own jigs, how many make their own rods, i was just thinking of how expensive rods are getting that I might try building a few.
    WolfmanJack051
    Gambler Bass Boat

Depends on the season. but between Warrensburg Mo and south Louisiana is a good place to look
    Post Thanks / Like

It cost alot if you use +A components. We use fly rod blanks 5 or 6 wieghts and Fugi eyes grade A cork and you can be at 200 bucks in a hurry, but they are nicw lol
    In our government-controlled schools we are taught that Lincoln was our greatest president because his war ended slavery and saved the Union. As usual, the other side of the story – the side that reflects poorly on the government – somehow gets lost. – Richard J. Maybury, The Abe Lincoln Hoax

Post Thanks / Like

no wonder you swim after those rods your dad made last winter?

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

It can get very expensive. I have looked into it a few times myself. Like Qwack said using fly rod or Loomis blanks for the best action in a rod they are not cheap. With China, Japan and Korea in a graphite war it is only going to get more expensive I feel. Not only on building rods but buying the everyday common name brand rods we use already today.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jigging15 View Post
    It can get very expensive. I have looked into it a few times myself. Like Qwack said using fly rod or Loomis blanks for the best action in a rod they are not cheap. With China, Japan and Korea in a graphite war it is only going to get more expensive I feel. Not only on building rods but buying the everyday common name brand rods we use already today.
    You guys are right ....got word of a price increase on materials this week.....mainly on the high quality carbon fiber products.....not good.........
    Let's go Fishin'

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep on making them JR we will keep on buying them. They have been going fast at Everharts for sure. All the snow has got people left with nothing to do. So they are in stocking up for spring I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Cost increase isn't just do to just higher demand. The more $$ the Fed keeps pumping out there the less the value of the dollar on the world market. More $$ for less material. Our natural rubber we purchase is up over 30% in the last couple years. Demand is flat, nearly all the increase is due to dollar decline and increased shipping cost. If anyone know where we can start growing some rubber trees stateside, we might be interested.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the economic outlook, i was just wondering if anybody built their own rods, i could go out and buy them but I have a little time on my hands now and again and was looking for a hobby
    WolfmanJack051
    Gambler Bass Boat

Post Thanks / Like

Drop me a line Wolfman, I can help you pick up your own components. You can also run U-40 Permagloss one part urathane coating and turn them by hand...dry in 15 minutes. If you dont get too costly on all the bells & whistles you can build a rod for the $$$.
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wolfmanjack051 View Post
    Thanks for the economic outlook, i was just wondering if anybody built their own rods, i could go out and buy them but I have a little time on my hands now and again and was looking for a hobby
    The lesson in economics served a purpose. I believe Mo and Jigging both pointed out how expensive quality rods are to build yourself. You did mention "expensive" as a reason to build your own. It is my experience that there are a lot of good quality rods on the market for a lot less than $200.00.

Greg, I planted 200 rubber bands this past Summer. I'm looking to have a "bumper" crop come Spring!

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast