Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bennett spring

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bennett spring

I know this isnt about crappie, but this is about the only place i could post this and get some replies,
    i think im going to go camping at bennett springs, march 18-28 for my spring break.
    my question is do i need to make reservations? is it usually crowded that time of year? i know the season opens the begining of march but do a lot of people camp that time of year?

also the only fishing i have done there is in the zone for scented bait, and i have just used powerbait on a small hook, casted out and hoped for the best, what tips do you guys have for fishing in that section? im pretty sure lures can be used in that same section. what lures are good to use?

Post Thanks / Like

its been a long time since i fished at bennet,and then i was flyfishing, but i think if you get yourself some pink and some white micro jigs and fish from the bridge to the waterfall under a float say 5ft or so you should do well.

Post Thanks / Like

never fished bennett but "angel bait" works great at meremec and mauntauk. thats all I use for bait and the last place I bought it was at the little baitshop on hwy 8 after st. james on the right. for plastics I have great luck with "trout magnets". I'd get the little tackle box full at wal-mart for 20$ as these work very good on crappies too.
    I recommend gettin' reservations if ya want to camp cause if its anything like meremec or mauntauk, it will fill up pretty quick, especially if its a nice weekend.
    pssst, 2lb test mono is the ticket! dont go without it

Post Thanks / Like

thanks, those tips will really help me out.
    i was hoping someone would chime in and say the place is empty that early in the season, i dont want to make reservations, cause i dont know if the girlfriend will have to work or not. guess ill just have to wait until closer to the date and make the reservations when i find out if she is going to be working.
    another question, what else is there to do down there, here is my situation, i have a 16 foot old bass boat that i could bring down with me, and i havent fished on any of the lakes down in that part of the state, but if you guys think a beginner like me could go out and have some success, which lake should i go to and any tips? (for crappie)
    i could do half the week at bennett and the other half at one of the lakes down there, that you guys think a beginner could stumble into some fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Lake of the Ozarks!

Post Thanks / Like

ok but what tips would you give to a guy that has never fished lake of the ozarks, or any big lake for that matter. i just get lost when i think about trying to catch fish on such a big lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Couple of things. You would not need a reservation probably for the upper campground. In march there is usually enough. Check with the office when you get there and reserve a spot for the duration...

Below the whistle bridge, ie bait area, the only lures you can use are soft plastics like trout magnets etc. You CANNOT use maribou jigs, rooster tails, etc. Try power eggs in various colors.

Post Thanks / Like

Pomme would be the closest, the Niangua arm of LOZ isn't far. Both lakes are loaded with crappie.

Brad
    Can You Find, "LIMITVILLE!!!" :D

Post Thanks / Like

ok, for that time of year (march 18-28) would it be best to focus on brushpiles (i assume i can get some locations off the internet) or find some standing timber?
    remember im a beginner at crappie fishing, and never fished a big lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't help you with trout but if you want to fish loz i'll be happy to help you get started,i fish an area where your 16' boat will be perfect and on those dates the fishin will be great barring a flood,stay in touch i'll either tell you where,how etc or go out with you and show you where to go.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast