Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does size really matter?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Does size really matter?

I'm stuck in the 80s. Always have and probably always will be. I just can't seem to change with the times. I still use a VCR and don't own a flat screen television if that tells you something.

All of my crappie rods are in the 5' - 6' range. For the past few years, I've been watching all of the crappie fishermen with their 8'-12' rods and have considered buying one to give it a try. Each time I go look at them in the store, I wonder where in the heck I am going to put them in my boat while not in use. (My boat is a 16' alum Sea Nymph / 50 hsp. / console) I imagine having 2 fishermen with 2-4 of these rods each in the boat. I see what a mess it would be in my little boat and then I put them right back on the shelf. I know they are 2-piece rods, but it still seems like a royal pain to deal with while on the water.

Have any of you felt this way before using the longer rods? I can see their obvious advantages in some situations but are they really worth the trouble of storing them? Do any of you that use them still use your shorter rods also or have you gone exclusively with the longer ones? (I realize you can't do certain things with the longer ones like dock shooting.) What percentage of the time do you use the longer ones? Do you like them that much better than the standard size ultralight?

I fish Truman mostly and doubt if I will ever set up rod racks for spider rigging. I would be using them for dipping mostly and when fish are very shallow to avoid having to cast to the bank. If I did buy a couple, I was thinking I would get one 8' for sure and perhaps another one longer but not sure. Any suggestions ?

Post Thanks / Like

You can't be much older than me, I went to 10' ers 2 years ago myself, I wouldn't use a 5 or 6' now unless slow trolling deep water, fishing truman is where I fish and I love them things for dipping trees or fishing the spawn on the banks, can't beat'em....... but you go ahead and be stubborn like I was and my back won't hurt at the end of the day, just don't buy a heavy long rod, that you will reget......
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest 10 footers to start with.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

If your catching fish the way you do it, why would you change. If your not well the obvious is at hand. I keep several lengths of rods in my boat, and it seems I can always find a need for each. Don't get zeroed in on one type of crappie fishing because they all work at some time. Catch fish and enjoy, no matter what rod length you use. 60 years ago my dad taught me to use a fly rod, and it was an excellent way to catch a variety of fish. I still use fly rods but the power and weight has changed over the years. Come to think of it, I don't see how any crappie have survived. Good luck on your rod selection. Don't change for the sake of change.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had lots of fun with my short rod over the years.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Bob start with a 10 ft first and see how you like it. The shortest rod in my boat is a couple 10 1/2 ft B'n'M Russ Bailey rods. then it goes to 12 and 14 ft from there. I even have the kids dipping with and slow trolling with the long rods now.

Post Thanks / Like

I would agree with them as well I also have a 10' rod that i bought a couple years ago. I feel like there is a time and a place for them and they become lethal when the time comes. I was fishing Truman last spring with two friends and i finagled my boat to the back of one of those wood covered pockets. I pulled out my 10' er and spanked them boys. I could jig easily where they couldn't touch. I use it at LOZ to reach between docks. I wouldn't go to the lake without it now. Think of it as a back up plan.

Post Thanks / Like

buy one 10 ft'er and see how you like it,you will be back for more

Post Thanks / Like

I like long rods for dipping trees and fishing multiple crank poles, and prefer 6.5-7ft for bed fishing and casting. I think the long rods are great for trolling cranks, spider rigging and dipping, but prefer a shorter rod for cast and retrieve. I dont see the advantages of rods longer than 7ft for casting or fishing deep verticle cover.
    Fish like your hungry!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree,start with a 10 ftr. once u go long u never go back!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast