Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pixel Count on Sonars?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pixel Count on Sonars?

Does 480x480 pixels on a sonar that big of a difference over, say, 240x360? I need a sonar for the box and cannot decide which to get. Is the price for more pixels worth it?

Thanks

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess it would depend on what you are going to use it for. The higher the pixel count, the better the resolution which gives you more detail.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I believe that the better pixels are worth it, and if you can swing a few more dollars by all means go color. What units are you looking at? I have a Lowrance 332c it is a sweet unit.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

You get what you pay for, on this note more is better, as a year ago I spent some cash and wished that I waited as the price did come down on the better unit. Good Luck
    "May Your Fishing Dreams Come True"

Fish Detective

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree also.
    Much sharper image and more detail on my new unit as opposed to my older unit.
    Old one was a X65 Lowrance and the new one is Lowrance LMS332C.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be the oddball. I can see a jig on my 240 pixel unit. What would I ever look for that would be smaller? Certainly higher res is better, but at some point the cost only adds to the cool factor, not the utility of the unit.

Post Thanks / Like

Where I fish there are almost more weeds then open water. When I perch fish it's easier to pick out fish down deep in the weeds. Whith less pixs it much harder. It takes alot of practice and use to be able to fine tune your unit but it's well worth it.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I think that for the extra money going up to a 320 or 480 pixel count sonar is definitely worth it. There are alot of good units out there in this pixel range for less that $200 in B/W. Adding color gives you a whole new dimension but also increases the cost. I love my 480 x 480 unit and wouldn't go down in pixel count now that I've gotten use to it.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a 640x480 in my humminbird 787c2 and that baby is like watchin a dvd. I would spend the extra cash. You wont be sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have to agree. I have two 480s on my new boat and there is a big difference to me.
    Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
    Ronald Reagan -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast