Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: March Outdoor Life- Crappie Article

Post Thanks / Like

Default March Outdoor Life- Crappie Article

Anybody get Outdoor Life magazine? Got mine in today and there is a very short crappie article that includes a list of America's best crappie lakes (in their opinion).
    List is as follows
    1. Grenada Lake, MS
    2. Kentucky Lake, KY/TN
    3. Lake Eufaula, OK
    4. Logan Martin Lake, AL
    5. Weiss Lake, AL

Any more lakes need to be added to the list? Anybody fished at all of these lakes? I have only fished at Grenada Lake. Maybe I'll get around to fishing at some of the others one day.

Post Thanks / Like

Weiss Lake was once the crappie capitol of the world. Alot of pressure must have hurt it some. I wonder if it will ever make it back tot he top?

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like Enid Lake in MS should be in there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieseeker
    Weiss Lake was once the crappie capitol of the world. Alot of pressure must have hurt it some. I wonder if it will ever make it back tot he top?
    I have fished Weiss every spring and most every fall since 1989. It was great fishing until around 96-98 when it was still good but not great. The last four years have improved every year. Last march three of us averaged 120-160 fish a day for five days. Roughly half of those were keepers with a lot of 9 1/4 & 9 1/2" fish that should be ready this year. I get to fish quite a bit but always look forward to the spring Weiss trip. It is like the Daytona of my fishing season.

Post Thanks / Like

Tunica Cutoff has been in several other lists that I've seen.

Post Thanks / Like

i've not fished any of those on list but fish buggs island regularly. we catch 150 -200 a trip usually but only have 35-40 of those over 10 inches. i've been fishin here 30 yrs and have noticed the lake goin thru cycles. rite now we have a lot of 9-9 3/4 in fish that will make for great fishin the next couple yrs. on the up cycle yrs about half of what we catch will be over 10 in. durin those yrs we raise our personal limit from 10 to 11 inches and have had occasion to raise it to 12" and still keep 35-40 crappie!!!so maybe we'll be back on the list soon!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieseeker
    Weiss Lake was once the crappie capitol of the world. Alot of pressure must have hurt it some.
    I'm guessing articles like this won't help the top 5 either

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar Matt
    I have fished Weiss every spring and most every fall since 1989. It was great fishing until around 96-98 when it was still good but not great. The last four years have improved every year. Last march three of us averaged 120-160 fish a day for five days. Roughly half of those were keepers with a lot of 9 1/4 & 9 1/2" fish that should be ready this year. I get to fish quite a bit but always look forward to the spring Weiss trip. It is like the Daytona of my fishing season.
    mopar,
    when are you going to weiss this year. will you be there during the middle of the week and will any fish be spawning yet or will that be in April when they start?

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking about going the week of March 11-18, but the week after Easter April 15-23 is a definite. Have to wait until Easter Break so the wifey can go too ( she is a teacher) but if the temps stay mild I would like get both trips in.
    It is nice to leave snow on the ground here and run around in shorts and sandals down there.

Post Thanks / Like

We had a very long hard drought this past year. The water got real low and grenada was fished hard. That may have something to do with the creel changes. We may see some difference in GR lake in the years to come.
    FIN