Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Who uses the Yellow Solar Line?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Who uses the Yellow Solar Line?

I watched a guy using the Yellow Solar line and was tearing the Crappie up. Some of the rest of us weren't doing so well. I mainly use 4 and 6 lb. flourocarbon. What is so special about the Solar line. Is this guy watching the line instead of the rod tip. If so what does the bite look like, slack line or what. I would love to know.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

He was probably line watching. Line can go slack or tick to the side. Both hard to see with clear line especially when the bite is real light as it is in colder water this time of year.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

It's always good practice to watch your line. Use a few feet of flouro on the end of the hi vis line if you think it might spook your fish.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with the rest .... most likely watching the line, bites being very light. I've used hi-vis lines for 20+ yrs ... everything from bright green to yellow to gold to chartreuse, and even red. Considering the way I fish, most of the time, which is casting a jig & slowly swimming it back on semi-tight line ... being able to "see" the line move, when the bite occurs, is critical. Even with fast action tip rods, & very sensitive ones, the light taps don't always transmit thru the rod .... therefore I can't always "feel" the hit. But, with the hi-vis line, I can "see" the line movement. I do feel "some" of those light hits, but I can see "all" of them !!

What I'm usually looking for, indicating a bite, is for the line to do one of the following : jump/bounce ever so slightly ... start to move off to one side or the other, rather than come straight back at me ... go slack, when I know the jig cannot have reached bottom. Each one of these line movements is usually indicative of how the fish has taken the bait. The tic/thump/jump/bounce of the line is probably caused by the fish coming up from behind & underneath the jig, stopping & then inhaling it. Movement to one side or another is usually indicative of a strike from the side of your retrieve line, when the fish intersects the bait & keeps swimming forward. Sudden slack line is probably when the fish comes up from beneath & behind the jig, inhales it, and keeps coming forward (from the momentum of the attack).
    If & when one actually does get a rod tip bending strike ... it's usually when the fish grabs the bait & turns to return to where it came from. I haven't experienced enough of those kind of strikes to depend on feeling it ... so I "line watch" !! My fishing partners use hi-vis lines, too, and even though I'm usually concentrating on my own line ... I've often seen the strike, on their lines, out of the corner of my eyes.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

We use both hi-vis yellow in mono and braid, I could not see using anything else. Much easier to see and manage multiple lines as well.
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

Post Thanks / Like

got to agree with the rest, many a times seen the line just move a tic. and set the hook fish on, my buddy was using that clear line, and catching as many or less fish that me, he made the comment the other day, glad i swithced to this yellow line, i can see it a lot better. I think if you can see the line move just a bit you will set the hook sooner, mtcw.

Post Thanks / Like

I started using the yellow lines while me and a friend was bluegill fishing he had yellow line on his reel and I could see the fish hitting his line, even from the back of the boat,the line transmits the strike so much better.Oh by the way he was slaughtering me in numbers of fish caught!!
    Wishing ya`ll hard strikes and heavy stringers and slay those slabs

Post Thanks / Like

how do bass fair with the HV line? does it spook them at all?
    Oscar, "Zack!....(I'm on other side of pond).....ZACK!!!!! Do you see how BIG this fish is!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I have purchased a spool of the yellow Pro-Line Braid. I'll spool up a couple of rigs with it. I truly think that is what the guy catching all the crappie was doing was line watching. I am definately gonna try it. Once again thanks.