Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: cane pole? telescopic?

Post Thanks / Like

Default cane pole? telescopic?

Ive been searching on here, seen things about people tieing line to a telescopic pole (which doesnt have a reel seat on it)
    my question is why do this instead of buy a pole with a reel seat and use a cheap reel?

i currently have no "crappie poles" i have probably 4-5 lightweight spinning reels on 4-6 foot poles.
    im wanting to get atleast 1-2 long poles.
    what are the differences in buying a telescopic rod with a reel seat, one without a reel seat, and a normal rod?
    what would be wrong with using one of these? Pinnacle
    the limit 10' these would allow me to use one of my old spinning reels right?
    sorry i am new to all of this, just didnt know why people wanted rods without reels, and what the benefits to it are

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have reels buy pole with seat. You will be much happier. Whether the 10ft will work for you or not depends on how you plan to fish. Couple of guys on here use them to spider rig but have commented they are a bit heavy for jiging.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

When I started getting geared up for spider rigging I went the cheapest I could and that was buying cheap telescopic poles (without eyes or a reel seat). Keep in mind I was buying 8 of everything. Anyhow, since I was being so cheap I had to make some rod eyes and attach those as well as buying some cheap spincast reels from Walmart to get me started. I attached the reels to the poles using black electrical tape. Not knowing if I would even like spider rigging I wasnt wanting a hugh investment to see. (I figured if I liked spider rigging then I could always upgrade to better equipment later on.) Surprisingly, when I spider rig now I'm still using those poles and cheap reels. They have worked great the 3 years or so that I've spider rigged so I aint going to change 'em out until I see the need for it. I'm more into longlining now so I dont break out the spider poles unless the fish wont bite the jigs I'm trolling and I want to go deeper with jigs/live bait in a much slower presentation. BTW, I've only broken one rod tip and that was my fault for not giving myself some slack line after putting a 3' gar in the boat still hooked to a pole. The fish started flopping around and...well, you get the picture.:o
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

For smaller fish and close-in fishing, I use a telescopic pole. It's fast and accurate. For casting and/or bigger fish, you need a reel.

Post Thanks / Like

ok, im thinking ill just stick with solid pole or a telescopic with a reel seat, ill be limited to what amazon has for cheap, since i have some money on there i can spend.
    i've been trying to search, but havent found a good thread yet, is there anywhere i can read, or watch how to spider line, and long line
    id like a beginers guide to both of them and other crappie fishing techniques. my crappie fishing experience has been limited to going shore fishing during the spawn, using a minnow and bobber, i'd like to learn the ways to catch fish year round.

Post Thanks / Like

Do a search of the forums and you'll find more info on spider rigging and longline trolling than you can read in a week....what lake do you fish here in Mo?if you're close enough i'll be happy to take you out for a day of spider rigging and dippin stakebeds with a 10' jigpole in feb as soon as we get rid of the ice,the longlining bite won't pick up around here until march sometime when the water sarts to warm a bit.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

buy from B&M you can't beat there price and quailty they have the pole you want

Post Thanks / Like

Also check out Grizzly Jig site as they have great prices also
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Sales and service on Directv and Wildblue internet
    Owner of Sickle Jigs.
    Slab Bandit Pro Staff