Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lunar Eclipse

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Lunar Eclipse

Since I am going fishing Wed night through the weekend at Toledo bend AND we are having a lunar eclipse Wed night, how would that effect the fishing??? Come on pros!! I need your expertise!!
    What about full moon fishing?
    Last edited by Angela; 10-24-2004 at 06:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Angela, I can't say how a lunar eclipse will affect the fishing, but I can't think of a better place to enjoy the eclipse, than out on Toledo Bend. I'd like to invite you to check out the Louisiana board, seeing that you are fishing Toledo Bend. Good luck on the fishing trip.---Pooch

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lunar enfluences on the earth

The moon has a pronounded effects on the earth. The moon as it goes around our earth come closer at times and farther at other times. The oceans have huge tidal surges due to the moons gravity. Never underestimate the influence of the moon on fishing. Now not sure what the lights going out due to a lunar eclipe would have on the fish. Is there going to be a full moon then an eclipe? I do think that full moons help as it's easier for animals including man to see on a full moon night. Much easier to see stuff than when there is not moon.

Also the moon to be in site has to have some gravitation effect due to it's position in it's orbit around the earth.

So there are two major effects that we get from the moon. Gravity and moonlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela
    Since I am going fishing Wed night through the weekend at Toledo bend AND we are having a lunar eclipse Wed night, how would that effect the fishing??? Come on pros!! I need your expertise!!
    What about full moon fishing?
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Pooch and Moose. Hey, Hey that has a good ring to it.
    Yes the full moon is the 27 or 28 of this month.
    Pooch tell me where the slabs are in Louisiana! I have to go to Texas just to catch em.
    Got tired fighting the snakes at the basin. They ran me off!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have had great success during full moon nights. Did you know that the moon phase effects all living things. They say more women have babies on full moons than any other time. And I've even heard about some people waiting to get their hair cut until the full moon. All kinds of crazy stuff huh? Definately good for fishing in my experiences.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

An eclipse usually affects the Crappie much like a cold front. An eclipse to fish is similar to throwing cold water on someone, it shocks them somewhat. Fishing can be very good just before the event happens, but usaully sucks afterwards for a day or so. Sometimes if you fish the complete opposite of what the normal bite was before the eclipse, lets say at high noon instead of 6am, the fish will be in a feeding frenzy. The bottom line is, things will definitely change!

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Angela
    Thanks Pooch and Moose. Hey, Hey that has a good ring to it.
    Yes the full moon is the 27 or 28 of this month.
    Pooch tell me where the slabs are in Louisiana! I have to go to Texas just to catch em.
    Got tired fighting the snakes at the basin. They ran me off!!

Snakes and skeeters. That's something common to the entire state of Louisiana. Personally, I can handle the snakes better than than the skeeters. Tommy,(from the Louisiana Crappie board) is the one consistantly catching big ones. I've been on a hit and miss experience, lately. I live on Black River Lake, in east central Louisiana and I've been getting to know the lake for about five years. I know I could probably do better travelling to some other lakes, but I'm determined to learn this one.---Pooch

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New Moon, Full Moon, +- !0% Waxing and Waning

Tn Sportsman Magazine (along with others) provide moon info about best-least times fish "may" be receptive. For More info on the moon phases, check out this web page.

http://www.calculatorcat.com/moon_ph...n_phases.phtml

If this doesn't work, Git to my web page and click on the moon. I guess I am plugging myself. lol.

www.tomsstuff.net
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default My experience

I used to fish bass alot and read a book called " In persuit of trophy bass" then matched up my biggest fish to the times and dates I had logged and it was so close it was not funny. But the last 3 time out crappie fishing, 2 bad one good, when I tried to match up times and date to the lunar calinder they did not match at all???
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"