Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: St Croix Spinning Rod Question

Post Thanks / Like

Question St Croix Spinning Rod Question

I recently dug thru my wallet & found several & I mean several, Gander Mountain gift Cards that the kids have given me over the last couple of years. There ain't much at GM that I like but I need to spend them.

Think I have decided on a St Croix spinning rod for casting jigs for crappie. I rarely cast anything smaller that 1/16 oz jigs unless it is under a bobber in shallow warer.

I would like to get some input on what you would suggest ie, rod length, handle length, action, fast tip, med. tip, etc...

I would also like to know what reel you would match up with the rod you would want.

Thanks
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

For that size jig, I'd go with a light (not UL) model in the 6-7' range. Look hard at the Avids. They are very nice rods.

I'd match it up with a Daiwa or Shimano in the 2000/2500 range.

Post Thanks / Like

They make excellent rods, can't comment on their crappie sized rods though. I would pair it with whatever model Shimano your wallet can handle in a 2000 or 2500 size.

Post Thanks / Like

1st--
    Hi I would like to let you know that at Dick's Sportinggoods stores they have a clearance going now on ST Croix rods. I looked and see there is one near you in Paducah give them a call to find out what they have. I know you mentioned you have the GA cards but I thought I would let you know anyways. I got a St Croix Premier 4'6" UL Mod & 6'6" MH Fast for $23.48 EACH!! The 6'6" rod was $120. From reports many others have got the same deals.

Now Ive been using a St Croix AVID 8' ML-power, Mod-action is rated down to 1/16, it has great sensitivity much better than my Wally Marshall Pro Series rod. I toss 1/16 jigs just fine with it. I have a Shimano Stradic 1000 reel with 10/2 PowerPro line matched to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey just talked to my dicks sporting goods people and that clerance sale ends the 24th (this monday) and it's half of sale!!!
    Oscar, "Zack!....(I'm on other side of pond).....ZACK!!!!! Do you see how BIG this fish is!!!!

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

St Croix 6'6" Light
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've looked at, but don't own, a bunch of St. Croix rods and find the UL rods a bit soft for my taste. Lots of limber in the middle of the rod. However the lite rods do feel like I need one, but priorities....... A couple of my club brothers use em, from short to 8'6" and they all say lots of good things. As I always advise, handle a lot before you buy, especially with those. If I had ordered on line what I thought was what I wanted I would have been sending it back. I guess I like a bit faster tip than some folks. Their weight is very light compared to most others, comfortable for long periods in your hand I'm sure.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Look at the PS66ULF. I love it!
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    ... St. Croix rods and find the UL rods a bit soft for my taste. Lots of limber in the middle of the rod.
    I agree. Their UL rods tend to be very UL, which is why I suggested the light version for bigger jigs. For really light jigs, I think the UL would be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I've been shop'n some. 1 of the things I've noticed is they have different handle styles labled like 1 thru 6 and in the chart it will tell ya what kinda handle that preticular rod comes with.

No on most of the ones I like it just says it has a cork handle. Is that a solid cork, Tn style handle?

I don't know if I would like that.
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast