Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish Oil Anybody

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Fish Oil Anybody

I'm sitting here in 12" of snow, thinking about fishing, belching up a foul taste from the fish oil capsule I took earlier this morning to help keep the cholesterol down. Got me thinking, this stuff smells like fish, tastes like fish, and it's pretty darn potent, wonder if it'd work to put on lures. I know some of the commercial stuff helps, just got to wondering about this stuff, can't see any reason it wouldn't, but I'm not an expert like some of you guys are. Anybody ever try it?:rolleyes:

"God created man, Colt made man equal, Winchester made man equal at greater distance."

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

It will work. But its easier to just buy some Crappie.com Liquid Minnow Jig Scent and then you don't have to fool around cutting all those fish oil capsules open etc.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Gander Mountain sell the stuff (fish oil) cheap in big bottles.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

A buddy of my grandpa's used to put cod liver oil in his doughball recipe. Smelled an awful lot like the shad gizzards we used for catfish bait. Both caught fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by papascott View Post
    ... this stuff smells like fish, tastes like fish, and it's pretty darn potent, wonder if it'd work to put on lures.
    I think it would work, too, but it'd be cheaper and easier to buy other scents like G3 Fisherman mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by papascott View Post
    ... belching up a foul taste from the fish oil capsule I took earlier this morning ...
    If you store the fish oil pills in the refrigerator, you won't get nearly as much of this. And next time you buy some, get the "enteric coated" pills. They're a little more expensive but well worth it, IMO. The coating gets rid of the fishy aftertaste.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Crappie on Steriods!:D
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Use a little cod liver oil, anise, and garlic salt mixture.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes one of the great crappie guides that posts on here always said he used it on slow bite, I actually tried it & it does help @ times. I used to use herring, or shad, or general fish oil, or Ming oil from England in my doughbaits for carp many moons ago.Seems they all had their time & place........ I do keep a few of my crappie plastics in a plastic bag with a small piece of scott towel to which I have added a couple drops of anise oil, it can reverse a slow bite at times.
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    i think it would work, too, but it'd be cheaper and easier to buy other scents like g3 fisherman mentioned.

if you store the fish oil pills in the refrigerator, you won't get nearly as much of this. And next time you buy some, get the "enteric coated" pills. They're a little more expensive but well worth it, imo. The coating gets rid of the fishy aftertaste.
    I am sure you are right but I have never had a crappie complain to me yet!:D:D Maybe they know I am too too cheap to buy the fancy ones
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaxsprat View Post
    I am sure you are right but I have never had a crappie complain to me yet!:D:D Maybe they know I am too too cheap to buy the fancy ones

Thanks, I'll give that a try:D, almost rather have the cholesterol than that awful taste. I think I'll give it a whirl, stick a couple of the caps in my tackle box in something I can seal and see what happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast