Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pay it forward

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Pay it forward

I was looking at an old thread on here http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...thank-you.html and began to wonder what all of us or any of us are doing to "Pay It Forward?"

What has been your commitment as Slab says to educate and teach the youth so we can raise up future generations of crappie fishermen and women. Please post what you have done, or are currently doing. It just might give someone an idea on how to be involved. In the past I have been involved in fishing rodeos, started youth and church groups hooked on fishing through "PYP" Positive Young People programming youth groups I founded as a school principal. I also speak frequently to cub scout groups on basic knot and rig setups for beginners. There is a "Sticky" on this forum where you can chime in and add your ideas that have worked for you.

Let's hear it. What are you doing to "Pay it forward" to thank someone who mentored you and got you started crappie fishing? :D:D:D:D Thanks.
    Last edited by shipahoy41; 01-19-2011 at 10:29 AM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Ernest Paty really got me going a few years ago when my wife & I listened to him at
    a seminar he gave at a local fishing show.
    This is how I see him:

I have been an avid fisherman all my life but he just made bells go off in my head.

I had the other species down pretty good but just did crappie during the spawn.
    Always wondered "Where they went" the rest of the year.
    When he and a few other guides came up with the club I went
    to every meeting for the last 3 years.
    We are starting a new Jr. Angler division this year.

Our mission statement says it all:
    "CAT’s goal is to help educate crappie fishermen of all skill levels, provide enjoyable competition in tournaments designed to match the skill level of the individual fisherman, and to generally promote the sport of crappie fishing".

Wally Marshall was also at the show that day and is also a great influence.
    We've been lucky to have him speak at the club and he is quite the
    motivational speaker.

These unselfish gentlemen has made me want to do the same with the
    few tricks I work out to get fish in the boat after much trial and error.
    I really enjoy taking someone out and have them bringing in fish.
    Like I've learned about life, what you get out of it depends on how much
    you put into it.

Post Thanks / Like

I really like taking new people all the time so they get that chance to catch "the fever". If they get hooked, they are in for a fun and rewarding outdoor recreation, and hopefully they will pass it on too.

Indian Rocks Beach, Florida, United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Had fished as a kid and then stopped along the way. My boss, got me back into fishing several years ago, mostly cat fish, but it got me back into it. I fished with and have taught my two daughters to fish and even though they are now grown we still get a chance from time to time to go. Always have extra poles around the house for the neighborhood kids that stop by and want to fish out back in a small lake.
    You can't finish what you don't start

Post Thanks / Like

When I was a kid in 1972, in 2nd grade we moved into a big old house, across the street lived a retired railroader Frank Melkevey, Mr Melkevey to me. He introduced himself to my parents the day we moved in, he had a wife that was bed/wheel chair ridden and would need some help from time to time with her. I was the youngest of 11 kids, so we had a lot of help around.

After a few weeks I would see Frank going and coming back from fishing, I have never been. I would run to his back yard and watch him filet fish and ask about 100's questions about them. Will finally he asked me to go along with him. He supplied me with a plastic black Zebco 33 & white 5' rod. We went to a farm pond and caught blue gill on worms and a bobber. From that day a friendship & my fishing adventures started. We went about 3 times a week, fished for crappie, bass, catfish and carp. As I grew older he would teach more advance fishing techniques, crank baits, spinner baits, plastic worms & different set ups for different fish.

He passed away in 1984, the last time we went fishing was around 1980. My teenage years took me on diffferent adventures. I still have the metal tackle box he gave as a kid to put my tackle in, haven't opened it in 15 years.

Now I'm 44, with 1 step-daugther. Took her bluegill fishing when she was 4 years old with her mom and got her hook!! We would going crappie and catfishing all the time, until she became a young lady. I have about 10 nephews that I take a few times each thought the year. 2 of them could become pretty good fisherman if the keep going with me. I have taught them all to back up a boat trailer, fishing knots, catch and release fishing & fileting fish.

Can't wait to get it all started again this year.

Post Thanks / Like

My Uncle started me out and even when I went home on leave when I was in the military we ALWAYS made time to fish, even when it came time for me to take him because he couldn't drive anymore. Sadly he passed away a few years ago, but I've taught my kids and others kids. I had friends who bought a bunch of decent rods and the reels were beat up and they asked me to look at them, they were all old Zebco 33's and I had a whole bunch of parts for different models and fixed them up lined them and then went with him to take them fishing.

Hard right now to do more with the distance I drive back and forth for work every day, but looking at helping out with a mentoring program for VT F/W for a kids program at my wife's school.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I done my share, but the older I get, the less I wanna fool with folks. I guess I am preparing myself for that "long hibernation". ha
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Well , When I was 5 or 6 my grandpa and grandma went to the pond on sat& Sundays, usually a uncle and aunt would come we would fish all afternoon , then cook out what we caught. Grandma always kept 10 or 12 cane poles ready, as I got older , when school was out, we dug worms and went and ask grandma for a cane pole , off we went to the pond, then momma would clean what we caught and cook it for us. This was back in the late 60's,early 70's, boy has things CHANGED! No body has the time to do stuff like that anymore. Brings back many GOOD memories. I miss my grandparents and great uncles and aunts, there 14 brother and sisters in my grandpa's family and they loved to spend an afternoon together. they liked fishing,Too! Now I live in sight of my brother and only see him once or twice a month, never got time to do anything, fishing is out of the question. But he was never around the grandparents like I was, he was younger and missed out on that experience. as for me, I fish at least twice a week , all day! Got plenty of time! I dont have grand kids yet, but I take my 11 year old son every trip, he is home schooled, so he goes everytime, been that way since he was 3 years old, he can out fish me! When the grand kids come, I will try to give them the same chance I had. I just wish my kids could have seen how thing were when I was a kid. We took time for each other, never in a hurry. People have got to slow down and figure out what is important. I'm going to do my best to pay it forward.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Well some of you are fortunate beyond words. And I don't say this in a bad way but for me it was like this. Dad was busy a lot and we did well to camp and do scouts. But he took my brother and I when I was 4 and I knew beyond any doubt what it was that I loved to do. Over the years my brother and I pursued fish when it wasn't frozen, and some when it was. Being a bit more hyper than most, I had to find my fix alone at times, cuz others just didn't want to go that much. No uncles or cousins or any of that, but I spoke to everyone I could and absorbed info like a sponge. Some things haven't changed much. I still speak to everyone I come in contact with as those that know me will attest. I also firmly believe that it's our jobs to pass on what we have been taught by others, or by experience, to those who care to learn. If we have a gift and keep it to ourselves it has no value. My work keeps me on a stupid schedule, but I do what I can and pass on what I've been taught. I moved to Tennessee in August of '05, and couldn't buy a crappie. After finding this website and meeting a few of the locals, they put me in their boat, took me to their holes, gave me some of their jigs, and so on. I haven't forgotten their efforts and do my best to make them proud. Giving out a few fish to those who can't get out any more, or maybe not doing so well that day, or giving a few jigs that I have made is nothing to me, but like gold to those who receive. Remember the smiles that things like this generate and it's never an effort to pass it on.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

POP'S he taught me to fish, trout and bass mainly but gave me everything i have to be thankful for today, wich led me to crappie, miss him he was my best friend

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast