Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How much electronics is really necessary

Post Thanks / Like

Default How much electronics is really necessary

I am amazed at all the toys that are available today to locate and catch a fish. How much do you really need to locate and catch a fish. I can understand the weekend fisherman needing a little more help, because of the time that they have to spend on the water. I have always stressed the importance of knowledge of the quarry that you are after. Learn their habits and habitats for each season. Learn how the weather effects them and the changes they make during a front.
    I am an old school fisherman and only use a depth finder and a trolling motor in my boat. When I find a tree pile on a channel ledge. I triangulate its position from land marks (something that is always there) and look at the depth of the water and can come back to the exact location the next trip. Learn to use the wind to your advantage for boat control. Learn to read the water. There are a lot clues that nature provides you if you know what to look for. Learn to read what the fish tell you when you catch them. They are always giving you clues as to how to catch them and what to use. Good Fishing to ya. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

That's all any of us use! A FF and TM. So what's your point?? When I want to really catch fish I use my nose!
    Alan
    ------------------
    Tight Lines to all
    Roll Tide Roll

Post Thanks / Like

I think your going soft!
    Alan
    ------------------
    Tight Lines to all
    Roll Tide Roll

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman_Wantabe View Post
    I think your going soft!
    Naw, I am just an old fisherman that has been around for awhile and learned old school ways of doing things that still work today. Nowadays they take the fun out of learnin to think for yourself and with all the new fangled electronics, it is to easy for the new guys to take the easy way to findin fish. When they can't find the fish they come and ask for information instead of learning for themselves thru magizines, video's, and TV shows. Nothing wrong with asking questions here but I always found it more fun to learn about things on my own first. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

First of all, I know what you're saying.

Second of all, if you was old school you'd be standing in the creek in your buffalo loin cloth, grabbing fish by hand when they swam by. I wonder what the real old-timers would think about a TM and simple FF. They'd prolly think, "This time next year there won't be a fish alive" :D

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eager Beaver View Post
    I am amazed at all the toys that are available today to locate and catch a fish. How much do you really need to locate and catch a fish. I can understand the weekend fisherman needing a little more help, because of the time that they have to spend on the water. I have always stressed the importance of knowledge of the quarry(Liberals) that you are after. Learn their habits and habitats for each season(2012). Learn how the weather effects them and the changes they(present administration) make during a front(and a front is exactly what it is).:D:D:D:D
    I am an old school fisherman and only use a depth finder and a trolling motor in my boat. When I find a tree pile on a channel ledge. I triangulate its position from land marks (something that is always there) and look at the depth of the water and can come back to the exact location the next trip. Learn to use the wind to your advantage for boat control. Learn to read the water. There are a lot clues that nature provides you if you know what to look for. Learn to read what the fish tell you when you catch them. They are always giving you clues as to how to catch them and what to use. Good Fishing to ya. EB
    Beav, as you know, I am old school also..:DI have been using the above highlighted method trying to figure you out for years....
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Old school. Ha.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by talltimber View Post
    First of all, I know what you're saying.

Second of all, if you was old school you'd be standing in the creek in your buffalo loin cloth, grabbing fish by hand when they swam by. I wonder what the real old-timers would think about a TM and simple FF. They'd prolly think, "This time next year there won't be a fish alive" :D
    My grandfather wouldn't have it at all :p
    All the years of fishing with him, he never used anyting but his nose :p and it worked caught fish everytime we when.
    Alan
    ------------------
    Tight Lines to all
    Roll Tide Roll

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eager Beaver View Post
    Naw, I am just an old fisherman that has been around for awhile and learned old school ways of doing things that still work today. Nowadays they take the fun out of learnin to think for yourself and with all the new fangled electronics, it is to easy for the new guys to take the easy way to findin fish. When they can't find the fish they come and ask for information instead of learning for themselves thru magizines, video's, and TV shows. Nothing wrong with asking questions here but I always found it more fun to learn about things on my own first. EB
    X2
    Well we do agree from time to time :D
    Alan
    ------------------
    Tight Lines to all
    Roll Tide Roll

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by talltimber View Post
    First of all, I know what you're saying.Second of all, if you was old school you'd be standing in the creek in your buffalo loin cloth, grabbing fish by hand when they swam by. I wonder what the real old-timers would think about a TM and simple FF. They'd prolly think, "This time next year there won't be a fish alive" :D
    TallTimber, I don't know how old you are but I can remember when the state of Minnesota banned the use of the old Lowrance fish lokator because their thinking was they would fish out all their lakes with that tool. And I ain't THAT old LOL
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast