Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: used boats?

Post Thanks / Like

Default used boats?

Just curious how many have purchased used boats and your experience. If you were going to be buying a used boat tomorrow what would you be looking for boat make/motor, how old etc.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a wide open question. Everybody probably has their individual wants/needs in a used boat.

I have purchased used and sold several. Take it out for an actual water shakedown and have the compression checked on the motor, regardless of what you wind up looking for.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats all I ever could buy. As far as what kind of boat and motor, everyone has their choice.Mine is Tracker PT 175 with Merc. Always check compresson on motor and try to run it on the lake or river if you can!
    FISH 55

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldnt be scared of something 10-15 years old or more. Heck, my boat is a '97 model.:rolleyes: Just check the motor out good and have a mech. check it too if you can. There's where you can spend some money.:o
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a cut off age limit like 10 years or newer etc??I understand this is a very open ended question but I am trying to get a general feel for they way experienced boaters are thinking when they look for a used one. I have never bought a used one except for the one I have but its not the same because its an old 16' jon boat used as a rental at one time and I got it for 500. I want to get a better boat that will allow me to get further and feel safer on the bigger lakes and not be depending on when friends want to go and have an open seat. I have been looking and trying to get a feel for the prices for certain boats, when in the description they post engine rebuilt is that good thats its rebuilt or bad that they had to rebuild the engine and could very easily have more issues. etc. thanks all

Post Thanks / Like

I would worry more about the number of hours on the motor than how old it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey I went used and made a good deal had to go around 200 miles one way to get it but it was worth it. There are lots of good used boats for sale.Craiglist is a good start its where I found mine.Just don't get in a hurry and you will find what you are looking for.Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

All my boats were purchased used. The one I use is a tracker pf16, 1989 riveted boat. Not a leak and just as good as the day it was made. May not be as pretty but every bit as functional. Many folks intend to use a boat but they do not, it sits year after year in the garage. Then one day they decide to sell it. These are the great deals.

Post Thanks / Like

If I were buying used, I would rather have one that has been run every day than one that has sit in a garage for a couple years. Dry rot is common in motors that are never run.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

As stated above, make sure you get a qualified marine mechanic to do a compression check. The newer engines have electronic modules that will tell how many hours are on the engine. I have had great suuccess with Mercury outboards. I have a 115 hp Optimax and absolutely love it. Good luck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast