Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time fishing a new lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default First time fishing a new lake

Ok when I get to a lake that I never fish before its kind of tough. No structure on the edge of the lake like down trees and stumps, things that look like it would hold fish, what would you do? Some structure is showing on fish finder. How would you make your move knowing its crappie in this lake. Just can't get on them.
    "Choices you make dictates the life you live"

Post Thanks / Like

get in the right depth for the time of the year start spider fishing, fish to you cant stand it not longer if you have not caught any thing stick a fork in it because i would be done with it, find me another hole.
    Pro Staff:
    Excel Boat (Meatgetter Edition)
    Crappieholic Apparel
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Ozark Rods

Please support these great companies!

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing a new lake with no visible signs of structure along the banks. I will look at the land surrounding the lake. Look at the contour of the ground next to the water. If it is a sloping edge coming to the water line that line will continue into the water. If it is a sharp bank than the water will be deeper along the edge there. Check out the points and see if one side drops off faster than the other side. Look for feeding flats in the Spring and Summer months. If the lake has shad in it look for the bird to point out the shad pods. Fish will always be under or around them. Look for shad busting the surface or any activity like that. Look for coves and creek channels also. Once you find these areas than just watch your depth finder to locate the fish. You need to spend a little time at first but will be worth it once you get on them. This will get you started anyway, good luck and good fishing. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

If i were fishin the lake you spoke of right now i'd be lookin for cover near a sharp break or point and fish the cover/structure thats in deep water,drop a buoy on it when it shows up on your ff and tightline it with a jigpole,drop the jig as deep as possible in the cover and work it slowly if theres fish there you'll know it soon enough.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

docks will have some structure, when we were fishing the cusa on new lake i alway had a map. In older days before GPs fisherman would drop structure on edge of creek channel and use the docks to line up and find it again.

Post Thanks / Like

Look for maps courtesy of Dept of Parks, or Corps of Engineers, especially pre- flooding maps; specifically, old gravel pits. Gravel pits almost always are SPRING fed (HINT! HINT!!); you have large amounts of heavily oxygenated 56 degree water coming into the main body of water ALL YR LONG; might as well say it`s "air ("water?") conditioned" during the summer and "heated" during the winter monthes, plus shad and minnows can gather in just unbelievable numbers on them, especially during the winter...what would hang around a spot like that? You might be surprized...

Post Thanks / Like

That's good to know because this lake does have a running water that feeds it sometimes. I may try setting up outside of this area once I find fish. Think its a good idea to cast with the current of this running water and bring I back making it seam as bait fish. Or should I wait until water has stopped then try to fish that area.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

All previous posts contain some good/valuable info.

Myself ... I'd do a "fly over" with Google Maps, just to get a overall view of what the lake looks like, how/where the creeks intersect with the main body of water, which direction the creeks are oriented, if there's any docks/marinas (& their placement), and a general idea of the terrain surrounding the lake. Then, if available, I'd get a topo map of the lake ... & compare it to the Google Map info. Where I started fishing this lake, would depend on the time of year & where the lake was located ... and I'd compare it to any similar body of water that I'd fished before (if there was one).
    Once on the lake, I'd go to the most promising portion of the lake vs the season & conditions ... working over small portions of it, on each trip out. Even with no visible cover present, I'd still fish shallow to deep, or deep to shallow, depending on timing & conditions ... using my electronics, in conjuction with the map, to find the type of bottom contour & depth that the fish should be on, given the time & conditions. (*time = season/time of year ... conditions = weather, water level, water temp, water clarity)

ANY submerged cover, in the depth range that the fish should be using, at that time & under the prevailing conditions, is worth putting a bait into. If I try several of these and produce no fish, then I'm subject to going to deeper or shallower cover. Consider what methods you're equipped to use, and what methods you're most experienced/comfortable with ... and apply those methods to the conditions at hand. Disect the lake into sections & eliminate water. Once you're on a pattern that produces fish, apply it to any/all areas that are similar & that you can reach within a limited timeframe.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I try to always look a lake over on google maps to see the Laying of the lake ,also where can I get this topo map Of the areA I want to fish. I have a book with all the lakes in it showing depth and some marking if any . Do you think this is good.

Post Thanks / Like

Where are you at in Ohio, sir? Am in Springfield; personally fish Buck Creek State Park, or more accurately CJ Brown Reservoir in the park; aka "Lake Erie South 2"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast