Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ROOKIE looking for Advice!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default ROOKIE looking for Advice!!!

I have been fish since I was little (22 years old now) and about 5 years ago I got two Pflueger Trion Combos from basspro, first nice combos I had and was very happy with them. Last year I got my first baitcast, Shimano Citica with a BP Tourny Special Rod for bass fishing during their spring sale and well when spring got here I wasn’t bass fishing I was to busy catching crappie. So my 200$ baitcast combo sat in the garage until June (HA). Anyhow this spring I am looking to get two new spinning combos….

Dilemma 1 – I got a Pflueger Micro President for Christmas and don’t really know what rod size and action to go with. Was thinking about going with St. Croix Rods either the Triumph or Premier style? I have had a couple Pflueger Trion Ultra Light combos I got from bass pro and like the short rods, so was either going to get a 5’ or 5’6” ultra light one piece, with a mod action. Going to go with a 4lb test line. This set was going to be for dock shooting and panfishing.

Dilemma 2 – I am looking into getting another rod and reel and narrowed it down to either a Pflueger President 6730X or Shimano Sahara SH1000FD or SH2500FD. I wanted to pair this reel with a rod between 6’6” and 7’6” with a Medium or Medium Light, Fast action, one piece. Also going with the two St. Croix styles. Was going to put 8lb test line on reel. This set was going to be for crappie and largemouth fishing.

Any comments, advice, or just let me know what you guys all use would be great and much appreciated. Thanks!
    Oscar, "Zack!....(I'm on other side of pond).....ZACK!!!!! Do you see how BIG this fish is!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I like the pflugers have several of them, but for the rod I would keep my crappie rod seperate from my bass rod, way to much difference in sensetivity. the bass rod may miss alot of crappie taps.

I use a 10 ft. sam heaton super sensetive rod and am really happy.

by the way welcome to crappie dot com great place to hang out

Post Thanks / Like

Whoo Boy, your too high end for my tastes.
    Don't just put away those baitcasters either.
    I use them for straight lining.
    I use spincasters for pitching, casting and slip bobbers.
    Best advise is to read a bunch of opinions on this site and others.
    Do your homework.
    There is some good info in the sticky on top of this page about rigs.
    Good luck and TightLines.
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...beginners.html

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Ne. For bass fishing you can go with the high end rods and reels with the better drag systems on them, but I am with beagle on this one and you can't use the same combos for bass and crappie. Using the heavier rods will tear the jigs or hooks out of a crappie's mouth, besides missing a lot of lite biters. Using a lite tip and you wouldn't be able to pull a bass out of heavy cover. You want to go with a more sensitive rod for Crappie which depends on what method you plan on using to catch Crappie. I use a 5' Berkeley Cherrywood UL with several different UL reels with 4 and 6 lb line, and 6.8' Sheakspear Micro Graphite lite rod With Shimono TX1000 reels and 6 lb line on these. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

I know we have bigger fish down here but I can feel and catch small ones too.
    With my drop shot 20# Braid w/10# leader on my $38 ProAngler rod I can feel and land this guy:

as well as this guy (from yesterday):

It's a matter of experience and feel.
    Use the rig you have confidence in and you will catch fish.

I got a buddy here in the office that buys the best of anything.
    He got into doing sudoku and I told him that he could do better
    if would buy a $200 pen to do them with.
    :rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like

Ha I like that and nice catch BigMack.
    I dont have a boat and dont fish to many big bodies of water, I mainly fish farm ponds and some ponds that range from 5 to 15 acres(in a small jonboat) so my expences for fishing arent to high so I thought I would get a high dollar pole, thats my reasoning behind getting the St. Croix. Also bass will bass fishing will be done with the one pole. So a long 10'ish pole is no good for me, well I dont think it would be best because Im not jigging in a boat very often.
    Oscar, "Zack!....(I'm on other side of pond).....ZACK!!!!! Do you see how BIG this fish is!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ILpanfish View Post
    ... thats my reasoning behind getting the St. Croix.
    St. Croix makes good stuff, and they're one of the few companies that still make (most) of their rods here in the US.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    St. Croix makes good stuff, and they're one of the few companies that still make (most) of their rods here in the US.
    No doubt on that.
    Several of my buddies use them.
    Some have the $100 ones and other have the $350 ones (with insurance on 'em).
    My partner from last year, Mike, had some too and I told him
    it made me nervous just to see them lying on the boat.
    My big feet might get on one.

Another buddy & guide has moved on to Dobyns after using the St.s for years too.

I do have some more expensive rods but since I put a finger on the line, when I'm
    really concentrating on the feel, the only thing between me and the fish are the
    eyelets of the rod.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eager Beaver View Post
    Welcome from Ne. For bass fishing you can go with the high end rods and reels with the better drag systems on them, but I am with beagle on this one and you can't use the same combos for bass and crappie. Using the heavier rods will tear the jigs or hooks out of a crappie's mouth, besides missing a lot of lite biters. Using a lite tip and you wouldn't be able to pull a bass out of heavy cover. You want to go with a more sensitive rod for Crappie which depends on what method you plan on using to catch Crappie. I use a 5' Berkeley Cherrywood UL with several different UL reels with 4 and 6 lb line, and 6.8' Sheakspear Micro Graphite lite rod With Shimono TX1000 reels and 6 lb line on these. EB
    X2 on the Berkley Cherrywood for a ultralite. Good sensitiv little rod for short casting and dock shooting use mine with mitchel reel and 4lb. Save some money on rod and buy good quality reel.
    Also I am like BigMack, to clumsy to have those things laying in bottom of boat even though I own some pretty expensive bass rods.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

ILpanfish ... for Dilemma 1 (dock shooting/panfishing) .... a 5 - 5.5ft rod should be about right. My current outfit for those purposes, is a Norsemen Outdoors ESP 5.5' rod, paired with a Shimano Aero 1000 reel. Rod is 1pc hi-modulus graphite, fast action, w/graphite Tenn Handle ( E56ULS 5'6" Ultra Lite Rod | Shop | Norsemen Outdoors, Inc. - Home of StowMaster® Folding Fishing Nets, ESP™ Ultra Light Rods, and Fold-A-Way™ Nets ) I also use 4lb mono on this outfit, in hi-vis (Sufix Elite).

For Dilemma 2 - Bass/Crappie combo .... I'm currently using a 7' Bionic Blade IM8 rod, paired with a Shimano Spirex 2000. I use 10/2 PowerPro hi-vis braid on this one (currently). It's now my Roadrunner/Whirley Bee casting outfit, but I have successfully used it (previously) with 4lb test hi-vis mono, casting jigs for Crappie. Were I to consider using it for Bass and/or Crappie ... the reel has two spools, so I could easily switch out to heavier mono (for Bass) or lighter mono (for Crappie) if necessary.

And let me clarify some things, too .... I'm primarily a jig slinger, that casts & swims the jig on semi-slack line ... which is the main reason/purpose of using hi-vis lines, so that I can see those really light bites. I have many other rods of different brands & lengths, paired with several different brands/sizes of reels, which are used for these same methods as well as various other methods. I've never owned or fished with a Pflueger or St Croix, so I have no experience for comparison.
    Some reels have instant anti-reverse .... learn to flip that OFF, when you stick a big fish, and backreel to control the fish. This works very well when using UL equipment, or lower end reels that may not have the best drag systems, or when using light line. I've successfully hooked & landed Bass over 6lbs & a Muskie over 12lbs, on 4lb test line & UL equipment ... by simply flipping the anti-reverse off, & backreeling in place of letting the fish pull drag.

... cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast