Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Snow on the ice

Post Thanks / Like

Default Snow on the ice

I've been fishing a 30' deep sand pit for 25yrs. I can catch crappie every trip if there is no snow on the ice but after it snows they seem to shut off. I have an auger and electronics. I've drilled lots of holes and fished all depths with all kinds of bait, still limited success. The lake is full of nice crappie, I can catch them in the spring with ease. What's my problem?

Post Thanks / Like

Your problem seems to be snow on the ice!! Sorry, thats all I got.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Ther's one in every crowd.
    Last edited by Harold; 01-16-2011 at 11:07 AM.
    THE Nimrod Kid

Post Thanks / Like

Lived on small lake ( 30 acres) had the same problem...never had a problem till the lake iced up. Everyone I talked to and even my expert ice fishing buddies couldn't figure it out. We blamed it on the lake being so clear and deep that the fish just shut down in the winter...feel your pain
    "Guns have only two enemies rust and politicians."

Post Thanks / Like

Try fishing shallower. When the ice is clear the fish will go deeper or become more skidish. They can see your silhouette but with snow on the ice they can't see you and will move shallower. If there is any cover in 5-12 fow try there. Noise doesn't seem to scare them off, but a shadow will. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by catch&crisco View Post
    Lived on small lake ( 30 acres) had the same problem...never had a problem till the lake iced up. Everyone I talked to and even my expert ice fishing buddies couldn't figure it out. We blamed it on the lake being so clear and deep that the fish just shut down in the winter...feel your pain
    Fish feed year around. In the winter time they just move slower and conserve their energy. The meal has to be worth the effort of them spending fuel to get it. The water is a lot clearer in the winter under the ice. There isn't much wave action to stir the bottom up so the water is clearer until the ice comes off and the wind gets to causing wave action again. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p