Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night fishing when its cold

Post Thanks / Like

Default Night fishing when its cold

I am reading alot about night fishing. Lighting, bait, etc. Anyone have any experience when the temps are cold? (like they are right now in KY)
    Mistertwister
    Here crappie, crappie, crappie, crappie......:D :D :D

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mistertwister
    I am reading alot about night fishing. Lighting, bait, etc. Anyone have any experience when the temps are cold? (like they are right now in KY)
    I've been out fishing when it was in the mid 30's and still caught a few. As long as the wind isnt blowing and I can stay warm I'll fish As long as they'll cooperate.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Default water temp

Quote Originally Posted by gabowman
    I've been out fishing when it was in the mid 30's and still caught a few. As long as the wind isnt blowing and I can stay warm I'll fish As long as they'll cooperate.

What about water temp? I think it's somewhere in the 40's here right now,after reading about all this night fishing I like to give it a try,does the water temp how any thing to do with if you night fish or not?

Post Thanks / Like

Started night fishing in Jan.We have been several times and have done ok so far.Just dress warm and go you cant catch em at home.The wind will usually lay right at dark then its not to bad.Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

p.m. rango, he goes night fishing all the time ,even in the cold.....
    Remember, throw'em back unless ITZAKEEPER ....

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tnjeff
    What about water temp? I think it's somewhere in the 40's here right now,after reading about all this night fishing I like to give it a try,does the water temp how any thing to do with if you night fish or not?
    First time I went this year was Jan. 22. Water temp was 49 degrees here. Now it's 53 and rising.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I have been out on the lake in the dead of night during the winter, freezing my arse off but catching some of the biggest slabs of my life....when I came into the landing with a cooler full, folks would ask "where in the heck did you catch those"...I'd reply "in the lake"....can't catch 'em sittin' by the campfire jawing....lol...seriously, nightime is one of my favorites...no "boatbangers" to bother you...peaceful and quiet...I even fell asleep one time with one of the poles across the gunwale...awoke with a start when I heard it banging the sides...pulled it up and had a 2-pdr on the line...rebaited, dropped 'er in and bam...another 2-pdr...needless to say, I didn't get much sleep the rest of the night...dress warmly, then go on out and enjoy yourself...it's worth it...

Bushrod

Post Thanks / Like

Here I go again:rolleyes: with the safety,Bushrod is right about dress warmly,but also make sure to wear your lifejackets.One slip with all the cloths on & you're a goner.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with bentpole. Please wear your PFDs (personal floatation devices). It can save your life no matter what boat you're on. I don't do much night fishing like I used to but I always wear my PFD when I'm on my ODC 816 catamaran.

http://shorterlink.com/?0FCZ4Y
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

And I thought I was nuts! I don't know of anyone who fishes for Crappie at night and in the winter. I would assume you are using minnows???...I could be game if the conditions get right. Any and all hints, tips etc.... will be considered.

THE BANDIT
    1 Corinthians 2:2.----Nothing else counts!!
    "This one thing I know, and that is Jesus Christ and Him crucified."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast