Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for Garmin GPSmap 76CSx

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tips for Garmin GPSmap 76CSx

After weeks of research on this board, I finally purchased a GPSmap 75CSx. Went ahead and got the U.S. Recreational Lakes for the east as well. Does anybody have any tips or revelations that they have discovered while using this unit?
    MS
    Mistertwister
    Here crappie, crappie, crappie, crappie......:D :D :D

Post Thanks / Like

Yes when you set the unit up, make sure you set the map orientation to "track up". This will allow when you are following channels they will be moving up down the screen. So in other words, what ever direction you are moving it will always be the direction the unit is pointed. If you didnt and you are running east/west you only see very little of lake and what might be coming at you. I find this helps when you using it to run a channel full of trees on each side. This tip doesnt apply to the 76 this works on pretty much all gps.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure to keep extra batterys, I hate when mine runs out and don't have the extra with me.
    So now i keep a few in the boat. And 2 in the camara bag.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

twisterwhere are you located?

Post Thanks / Like

I am in northern KY.
    Mistertwister

Post Thanks / Like

Be sure to enable WAAS - the default setting is disabled for some reason. I would recommend a power supply cord if you don't have one so you won't be burning up batteries. You may need to add a 12-volt outlet in your boat if you don't have one close to where you'll be using the GPS. This eBay store has good cables and great prices -http://stores.ebay.com/RNRPLACE_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default gps-76

JERRY ---WHY DO YOU THINK THEY SHIP THAT WITH THE WAAS DISABLED ?
    YOUR RIGHT ABOUT THE POWER CORD--SURE SAVES A LOT OF BATT.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks for your comments

I bit the bullet when i bought it and bought the accessory kit for the truck. COmes with a power cord, portable cradle that is like a heavy bean bag, and a permanant stick on mount (i'll use that for my boat). I have played around with the recreational software today, pretty cool. Any first hand experience on battery life?
    Thanks
    Mistertwister

Post Thanks / Like

Default Batteries

I purchased some rechargeable NickleMetalHydride Batteries to use with my etrex GPS from Garmin.

I finally realised that these AA batteries come in various capacities. I have some that are 1880 milliamp (ma) and some that are 2500ma storage capacity.

I also got the new 15 minute fast charger that will charge up 4 of these batteries in only 15 minutes.

I can easily go though two sets of batteries in a day of fishing.

For using the etrex in the truck I got the cigarette lighter to garmin adaptor power cord. This way I can power my gps from a cigarette lighter 12 volt power source. I can use the etrex like this in the truck, boat and with an external battery power pack.

A set of AA Alkaline Batteries will last me about 3/4 of a day so I keep an extra set of those.

A set for my Etrex is just two AA batteries.

Batteries can get expensive after a while which is why I like using the rechargable batteries

Note: the Rechargable batteries don't last for as many hours as the Alkaline. But you can recharge them about 1000 times before they have to be disposed of

I found the Everyready Energizer rechargable batteries work good.

Also note that they are not cheap. They are pretty expensive. but you can use them in camera and other device too.

I have 8 of the smaller AAA rechargable batteries that I use in the walkman radio.

Quote Originally Posted by ShilohRed
    Make sure to keep extra batterys, I hate when mine runs out and don't have the extra with me.
    So now i keep a few in the boat. And 2 in the camara bag.
    Pete
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frank lawhead
    JERRY ---WHY DO YOU THINK THEY SHIP THAT WITH THE WAAS DISABLED ?
    YOUR RIGHT ABOUT THE POWER CORD--SURE SAVES A LOT OF BATT.
    Hey Frank:

I don't know why that is. I guess for a lot of applications like hiking or driving where you can see the object you are looking for there's really no need for WAAS. I don't know if the power comsumption is any different with it on or off. It sure comes in handy for pinpoint things you can't see like a crappie condo!
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast