Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rod Holder Help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod Holder Help

Hey guys, long time reader, not much on posting. Got a new to me boat today. Looking for advice. Ordered a double seat mount from Cumberland Crappie today. Now for my big decision...which rod holder. Cumberland's or Hi-Teks? Been running Bee Ready's for a couple of years and like them, but I want something that I can adjust the angle of the horizontal bar for one or two person set ups. Do Hi-Teks do this? I know the Cumberlands do, and without tools. With my Bee Ready's, I was always looking for a screwdriver to adjust my rods. Kinda like the idea of the knobs on Cumberlands, but everything I read is how great Hi-Teks are. Also, do Hi-Teks bases screw down or bolt down. This is my first glass boat, so trying to figure out whats best for that as well. Give me your thoughts guys. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

dont forget ezpoleholder over on the missippi board ,he has some nice holders too.i have the hiteks and like them,u will need a wrench to adjust them and i guess u could mount the bases either way

Post Thanks / Like

Stanley Creek rod holders at Southern Crappie Rods website no tool needed for adjustments.Made of stainless steel dipped in rubber.Best I have used.

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have hi-Teks and have used most of the others, or seen them on someones boat. Yes, the Hi-teks use a half inch wrench for all adjustments, no carrying a tool box. Any of the ones that used wing nuts weren't near as friendly. They slide into a dovetail and then you tighten a 5/16 bolt to hold it in place, and they hold very well once that is done. Quick up and down. Inserting a nylon washer between the crossbar and the riser lets you twist them left to right without going to the wrench. A lot of the other brands that I tried weren't as easy to get the rod from the holder, the reel gets caught somehow if it's behind the cradle up front. Four sets of four and 2 sets of 2, you might say I'm a satisfied customer. And a CDC member also.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input guys. I guess you guys with Hi Teks use the supplied screws to install in fiberglass boats? Or bolts with washers and nuts? Thanks.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. I guess you guys with Hi Teks use the supplied screws to install in fiberglass boats? Or bolts with washers and nuts? Thanks.
    I have a aluminum boat but if were mounting on Glass and could get to them I would use stainless bolt's with self locking nuts.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Alright, ordered two 4-rod Hi Teks to go along with my Cumberland Crappie Double Seat Mount. Thanks guys. Input was helpful, and both companies were great to deal with. Cumberland is building a mount to my specs at no extra charge, and Scott with Hi Tek was eager to explain his holders to me. Its nice doing business with good people. I'll try to post a pic when I finish the install. Scott thought the screws would hold up fine in the fiberglass, but I dont think it would be hard for me to get nuts under the deck. Glass owners....screws or bolts? Thanks again...

Post Thanks / Like

Bolts for sure. You can get under the deck thru the rod lockers or thru the bow access, might need an extra pair of hands to help ya tighten them down. I'd put them in the deck/floor, not the glass.

Tight lines.
    Cumberland Crappie LLC
    Rod Holders, Double Seat Mounts and other Accessories
    http://www.cumberlandcrappie.com
    Phone (606) 425-7151
    Poplar Lures Pro Staff
    http://www.poplarlures.com

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I used the supplied screws and drilled a pilot hole, solid so far. I'm sure if I fall on one of them I'll have issues, and then I'll probably go with some bolts.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around