Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Gps

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gps

When mounting the antenna on a GPS does only the top need clear veiw of sky or do the sides need to be free of objects too? Thanks, Dan

Post Thanks / Like

The Tip. But you should make it as vertical as possible, and free from close objects.

The Transmitted waves from the Sat come at the Antenna from all directions.
    The Transmitted waves from your GPS go out as something like a water waves from a rock in the pond, in all directions.
    If you have something right close to that ball that is reflecting or collecting your XMissions you could get a slow down in the Info-speed. (or worse)
    I just wish I could be better at fishing. Or maybe luckier!:D

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

GPS ain't nothing but a low power UHF radio receiver with selective hearing. Keep the unit clear of obstructions.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of folks mount them under the console or under the top cap on a glass boat with no issues. I'm going to try putting mine up inside the access area for getting to the TM mounting bolts. Anything conductive or thick would be a problem though.

I've also not notice a problem with mounting it at an angle. That's not to say it works just as well at all angles, but mine worked fine for several trips just laying on the dash under the windshield at about a 30 degree angle.