Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Area lakes ice condition

Post Thanks / Like

Default Area lakes ice condition

I just talked with MO. Dept of conservation, they still are not recomending getting on the ice in this area. She said that was the report from two days ago that she had not a report for today. I live in St. Joe, so this is the area they would be talking about. I will give it another day and check it out.
    Back in the 70's I went through the ice, not a good experience.

Post Thanks / Like

I do not think the ice in mo is trustworthy anytime, so I am not going to go and find out. good luck on your through the ice fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Beagle man, thanks for the reply, sure wouldn't question your judgement. Going through the ice years ago was poor judgement on my part, to long a story to tell.
    Last two years the ice up here has been good, with fair fishing on some lakes north of St. Joe. We always make several test holes before fishing. Last year we did have some ice 6-10 inches thick. I don't consider myself an old man yet, but I have noticed my auger does not drill as easy as it used too.

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m sure it depends on the body of water. I drove my ATV on my pond yesterday which is about 1 ½ acres. Quite nervous so I stayed pretty close to the bank, not ready for the polar bear plunge just yet. I’ll test drill some holes this weekend further out if it don’t get too hot and try some wax worms. ALWAYS Nervous on ice though and sure my neighbors think I crazy!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Crazy is as crazy does, Bill....it sounds like a bunch of fun. I say we get a bunch of whacked out four wheelers and start our own "drift racing" Kearney style!!!! People will come from miles around to witness this debacle, I mean spectacle!!!!
    I believe in catch and release.....right into the grease!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by keeferfish View Post
    I’m sure it depends on the body of water. I drove my ATV on my pond yesterday which is about 1 ½ acres. Quite nervous so I stayed pretty close to the bank, not ready for the polar bear plunge just yet. I’ll test drill some holes this weekend further out if it don’t get too hot and try some wax worms. ALWAYS Nervous on ice though and sure my neighbors think I crazy!!!
    I'm thinking they are smart people your neighbors!!!!
    May all your live wells be full.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I am with Beagle, leave the ice to the eskimo's..
    2014 Crappie Masters Mark Twain Champion
    2 time CDC Truman Lake series points champion

Post Thanks / Like

Only good uses for ice are in iced tea and Jim Beam! Waitin' for soft water.
    Even a blind pig finds an acorn now and then.......

Post Thanks / Like

Safe ice for walking out is usually 4" or more . I like 6" to be safe . Small ponds should be okay if they are not spring fed. Take a spud to test the ice in front of you when walking out on first ice . Driving an ATV is not the best way to go about it .