Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Strength of HItek rod holders?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Strength of HItek rod holders?

I love crappie fishing and also like drifting for catfish in the summertime. Has anybody used the Hiteks for catfish? I was wondering if the gap of the rod holder is big enough to fit a bigger rod handle in and be able to remove easily when a fish is on.

I'm just trying to decide if I can kill two birds with one stone by using one set of rod holders or if I'd be better off getting Hiteks for crappie and still purchasing some Monsters for catfish.:D

Post Thanks / Like

Yes they will! I have tied anchor ropes to mine in the current here on Pickwick Lake just to test the strength. They are the best I have ever used.
    Brad Whitehead
    BnM ProStaff
    WarEagle ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the answer. Now my other question is for the T bar and the bolt that locks it in place. Does that tighten down enough so that if I got a big hit on the right side of the T bar that it doesn't spin counter clockwise and loosen up? I've had this happen before with rod holders on some very hard strikes while anchored up on the river.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the hi-teks and love em, they are very solid....I also drift fish for big blue cats in the ohio river....the only thing that would worry me about the hi-teks and big cats would be where it mounts to the floor and the length of the shaft from the floor to the t-bar....if you mounted em correctly to your floor and maybe went with a short enough shaft you could do double duty with em.....that being said, these are the best rod holders I have used bar none....I just know how hard down them big cats can pull when drifting for em....the holders, and the t-bar could handle it no problem, the only thing I would worry about is mounting it solid enough to the floor (I dont think the provided screws would cut it in case of a huge cat)....I went out and put a cat-maxx and a shakespear ugly stick catfish rod in the holder and they both fit great in the holder....the t-bar and all the holders lock down tight enough to where they arent gonna move....I have snagged while long lining with mine and wasnt paying attention to the rod as well as I should have been....the rod bent hard and started pulling drag and the hi-teks did not budge at all.....get them you wont be sorry, but maybe talk to them and tell them what you intend to do with them and see what they maybe able to come up with far as a beef-ier mounting option to the floor....have a great one God bless

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't put so much drag on that I had to worry about it. Can always tighten drag some after you hook up.
    I DO MY BEST PROOFREADING RIGHT AFTER I HIT THE "SUBMIT" BUTON

Post Thanks / Like

i have hung some big blues, channels and drum while crappie fishing using my Hiteks. i have also hung up multiple rods on stumps while trolling which put alot of pressure on the holders. The only issue i ever had was when i fell on one of them during a high wind. Had no business being on the water that day. The screws came out of my deck. Just moved it back 2" and remounted to the floor. These are awesome rod holders
    Brush Buster

Post Thanks / Like

drift master holders have some HD models I believe which might work for you.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cache22 View Post
    I wouldn't put so much drag on that I had to worry about it. Can always tighten drag some after you hook up.
    I use circle hook when catfishing....cant have the drag to loose or they wont hook them selfs....leave em in the holder till the rod tips about to touch the water....then pick it up and reel.....circle hooks are amazing for catfishing....

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

I had the DM T250's and had trouble with the port side would spin CCW when fishing horizontally and either get hung or while catching a bigger fish.
    I went with the Hi-Tek's and couldn't be happier.

The T250's work well for spider rigging and that's what they are designed for, but I can do both with my Hi-Tek's.
    Team "Itch N 2 Fish"