Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: how should i set some condos

Post Thanks / Like

Default how should i set some condos

where i am wanting to put out condos there is not really any drop offs or any deep creek channels. there is 4 ft water to 18 foot but it dont drop off. it kinda just slopes down. there are several creeks run in places but all are 4 to maybe 6 foot. so i am wondering where and how i need to set these things out. i know i am going to put some short ones in shallow water for spring spawn but other than that not really sure at this place.

Post Thanks / Like

I would put it in the deepest water there.
    Make sure it's not in the way of boats or causes any kind of hazard.
    You don't need drop offs, in fact, the less an area has in it the more they will come to it.
    I showed a couple of mine on this post:
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...hardbrush.html
    Remember too that it takes more weight to hold things in water than folks think.
    Water currents can be very strong.
    I use at least 60#s on each of mine.
    Be careful putting these out and don't become part of the condo yourself.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd put them in whatever water depth would allow the tops of the condos to be about 2ft below the normal depth of visibility. That not only hides them from sight of passing anglers, but it also allows the whole condo to be used by the fish. They don't always bury themselves into the cover. They do like to suspend above it, sometimes.

You could put a string of condos ... from shallow to deep ... on those sloping banks. That would provide a highway to the shallows/spawning area, as well as stopping points along the way.

I'd also consider putting some out from the mouths of those creeks ... but, in water deep enough to hide the condo (with several feet of water above it), & therefore the fish that use it.

Just make sure your condos have vertical AND horizontal cover, and enough room for a good sized fish to swim thru it. Vertical cover provides a point of reference, for the fish to orient itself .... horizontal cover provides shade (which provides camouflage, ambush point, & cooler water temps).

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    I'd put them in whatever water depth would allow the tops of the condos to be about 2ft below the normal depth of visibility. That not only hides them from sight of passing anglers, but it also allows the whole condo to be used by the fish. They don't always bury themselves into the cover. They do like to suspend above it, sometimes.

You could put a string of condos ... from shallow to deep ... on those sloping banks. That would provide a highway to the shallows/spawning area, as well as stopping points along the way.

I'd also consider putting some out from the mouths of those creeks ... but, in water deep enough to hide the condo (with several feet of water above it), & therefore the fish that use it.

Just make sure your condos have vertical AND horizontal cover, and enough room for a good sized fish to swim thru it. Vertical cover provides a point of reference, for the fish to orient itself .... horizontal cover provides shade (which provides camouflage, ambush point, & cooler water temps).

... cp
    that is very helpful. makes sense too. i will do that.the ones so far have vertical but no horizontal cane. what would be a good idea for putting the cane vertical. wire tying it to some of the standing cane of somthing like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Like CP said I like to set them from deep to shallow also because if they are all at one depth and the fish don't want to be at that depth you dont got nothing else. LOL
    www.Crappiepredator.com
    www.Rendlakefishingguides.com
    618-472-4763