Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some transducer mounting tips

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need some transducer mounting tips

I mounted my Minn Kota Power drive on the bow of my boat. I want to mount my transducer on the motor. I've got the bracket. But how do you run the transducer cord up the shaft?

I've had people tell me to use pull-ties to secure it to the shaft but that seems impossible since to stow the motor, the shaft has to be pulled all the way up throught the steering collar the point where it connects with the motor. Therefore, securing the cord below the collart would prevent it from being stowed. Should I leave it loose below the collar and secure it only above the collar??

Can someone tell me, or show me, how to run the cord up the shaft?

Thanks.
    Regards,
    Rowland

Post Thanks / Like

Does your Power Drive have the Universal Sonar?

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/produc...e.asp#Features
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a bummer. The best I could come up with is leave it loose and just secure it to the coiled wire where it goes into the base. Or you could use something like this: http://shop.titelok.com/?page=shop/b...899591a9f7abce

The bad thing about the brackets is its one more thing to forget to take in when moving. LOL I did use to have one for a side finder and they work pretty good.

BTW, I do have the universal sonar but they have a 12° cone which stinks.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Yes to pull-ties...one at the max height of the collar and one towards the far end with an inch or two of slack so the collar can still slide up/down the shaft.
    I think I got one...

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woohdog
    Yes to pull-ties...one at the max height of the collar and one towards the far end with an inch or two of slack so the collar can still slide up/down the shaft.
    Do you have yours secured just above the collar?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

BIG M Guest

Default Universial Sonar

Take It Back And Get The Universal Sonar, I Love Mine, You Will Need A Cable For Your Fish Finder To Go With It.

Post Thanks / Like

Default minnkota mount

Best way i have found is, after you mount trans. theres a flange on top of motor drill small hole in flange #30 drill and use small wire tie secure cable to flange then use big tie and secure cable to shaft as close to motor as possible. Run cable thru coil leave some slack towards motor plug in to whatever you use. GOOD PFISHING;;;;;;;
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, folks.

I didn't buy the universal sonar precisely due to the 12 degree cone.

I'm going to have to fiddle with this until I come up with a solution. If I can't, I'll use a conventional transom mount.
    Regards,
    Rowland

Post Thanks / Like

The most important thing it to leave a little bit of slack in the cable so that when the trolling motor rotates around 180 deg the cable does not get pulled. That will break the tiny wires inside the cable. It cost me 70 bucks to learn not to do that. My original humminbird trolling motor transducer's cable got broke when I failed to leave slack in the line up near the hub and below the trolling motor head. I also used some cable ties to keep the cable out of the way so that it would not get caught in the mount when I stowed the trolling motor.

I just used black electrical tape to secure my humminbird's transducer's cable to the bottom of the shaft on my minkota trolling motor. I have the portable sucktion cup transducer holder which I modified by removing the suction cup and it's hardware and then used a big 6" OD metal hose clamp to hold the transducer onto the bottom of my trolling motor.

I then used plastic wire ties all the way up the shaft and above the collar. I stopped about 6" below the head of the trolling motor.

They key is to make sure that the wires are not pinched when you stow the trolling motor in it's mount. I have the minkota all terrain unit and it uses U shaped rubber mounting brackets to secure the trolling motor. The top of that U shaped rubber mount is where the trolling motor slides into. I make sure that the transducer wire is riding along the top of those U brackets and does not get pinched inbetween the U shaped brackets and the trolling motor's shaft.

Here's a photo of just the Transducer and the portable mount that I adapted for the trolling motor. As you can see this worked out really well.

Quote Originally Posted by jimfish
    Best way i have found is, after you mount trans. theres a flange on top of motor drill small hole in flange #30 drill and use small wire tie secure cable to flange then use big tie and secure cable to shaft as close to motor as possible. Run cable thru coil leave some slack towards motor plug in to whatever you use. GOOD PFISHING;;;;;;;
    Last edited by Moose1am; 02-19-2006 at 11:53 AM.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Mine has the universal but I did run the other on it while getting the riht plug. And it was a pain. Always have to make sure where the cable is before stoying the TM.
    I just taped mine below where its out of the way at the bottom when out of the water. And under the head on top.
    Good luck and be careful as you can tear up the cable fast.
    PEte

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast