Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Knot tying?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Knot tying?

I have been using an old time tying technique that my Dad taught me when I started to fish, but I recently started using Spider Wire Stealth and it's difficult to get a snug/secure tie on hooks, jigs and everything else. Does anyone have a simple knot that I can learn quick? Thanks, TF

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Tex, the Palomar knot works for me. Check out www.animatedknots.com Its a pretty neat site thats shows step by step knots of all kinds...izzy

Post Thanks / Like

Izzy, if I can call you that. Thanks! That is a really cool website. I will have to try and master a few of those. Do you use spider wire stealth? I have never had a problem until I started using that line, but I really like the strength and casting ability with it. It just tends to slip alot until you get a snug tie. I don't want that 4 pounder getting away from me. Again, thanks, TF.

Post Thanks / Like

The Palomar knot is the best one for tying braids as far as I am concerned. The only thing different that I do tying the knot is I don't fold the line tight to put both lines thru the eyelet at the same time. I feel that this weakens the line at the point of the tight bend. I run the line thru the eye and then turn the line around and run it back out of the eye which will form the loop that you are trying to get.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

I started using this knot this last fall. I think it works good!

http://www.animatedknots.com/dropper...e=LogoGrog.jpg

I use the match stick method to tie this knot and leave the loop about 3 to 4" long. That way I can attack the hook directly to the loop. Just pass the end of the loop though the eye of the hook. Spread the loop apart after it passes though the hook and then overlap the hook though the loop. The hook will stay on the end of the loop.

This loop knot works great with minnows. I used to tie the hook directly to the line with a palamar knot but the minnow was not free to swim as much as with the loop knot. With the minnow free to swim easier aound the main line it helps attrack the crappie. I catch a lot more crappie using this loop knot and a 6lb test Stren Magniflex line than I did with my other setup.

I saw Larry-Southern Indiana fishing at Patoka Lake and catching limits of crappie using this system. So I switched to this loop knot and the clear line. I am glad that I did as it seems to work much better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by izzysfishin
    Hey Tex, the Palomar knot works for me. Check out www.animatedknots.com Its a pretty neat site thats shows step by step knots of all kinds...izzy
    Last edited by Moose1am; 02-19-2006 at 10:24 AM.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

I think i've tried them all at one time or another, Tex. Just picked up some Power Pro 10-2 yesterday but have'nt tried it yet. Alot of guys here like it so i thought i'd give it a try. The Palomar works on all so far. Izzy's fine Tex, just don't call me late for dinner hehe...izzy

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Izzy for posting that site, I needed it....
    "May Your Fishing Dreams Come True"

Fish Detective

Post Thanks / Like

izzy...I had been using the 'Palomar knot' for years, but I never did know the name of it. Thanks for the site. Lots of good knots there!!