Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: boat batteries

Post Thanks / Like

Default boat batteries

Is it necessary to remove all your batteries during this real cold weather even if you plan on using your boat every couple weeks,and if you leave them in how much damage does it do to them?

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine stays in my boat 365 a year. I fish with my boat about every week or more. I recharge after using the boat trolling batts every trip and stick the charger on the cranking battery as needed (maybe twice a year). I should also mention my boat stays inside a locked shed.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it's wrong but my batteries stay in the boat 365 a year also. It is tarped under the car port and the on board charger is plugged in.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know whats right or wrong, but my boat stays inside a heated shop and I have the onboard charger going. When I keep my boat outside in the winter I removed the batterys but I don't know if that was needed. I say what ever you feel good about is what I'd do.
    Monk

Post Thanks / Like

As long as the batteries do not lose a charge the cold will not hurt them! Only a dead battery will freeze! I plug in my onboard charger when I get home and unplug it when I leave. Works well, actually if you keep the batteries at a full charge they will last longer. Storing a battery without a full charge is when they get damaged, whether it is inside or out. My last set of batteries lasted 6 years! Buy good batteries and keep them at full charge, inside or out and they will serve you well.

Post Thanks / Like

Never take mine out of the boat but always keep them fully charged. The only time mine are off the charger is when I'm fishing. I do check the water level once a month and fill as needed.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What type of chargers are you guys running that leave them plugged in all the time. I have a nice three bank but one bank has never worked so I use it to charge trolling batteries and then have a Schumacher that I use to charge cranking battery with. Looking at buying a new 3 bank or even a used one if I could find one to replace mine. Mine works fine but is a hassle to charge other battery amd not sure if I can leave mine plugged in all the time and have it mantain the batteries.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat batteries

I have used the dual-pro-on-board 3-bank for years and have been well pleased with the performance. It stays pluged in at all times except when i am fishing. I try to get at least 5 years out of a set of batteries. Have used delco voyagers maintenance free for the most part in the past but am now trying optimas maintenance free. Hope for better life.

Post Thanks / Like

I leave mine plugged in at all times unless its in the water.I use a dual pro 4 bank and it charges to full charge then switches to a trickle to maintain them.Batteries are 3 years old and still going good.
    There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont own an onboard charger but as I said I fish every week and charge every time I get home. If I wasnt fishing due to bad weather or some other reason I'd hook 'em up once a month to check the charge. I wouldnt leave anything in the boat if stored outside. Too many thieves around.:rolleyes:
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast