Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Looking for weedless 1/16 jig heads in bulk

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for weedless 1/16 jig heads in bulk

I met an old guy fishing with the jig heads with the wire weed guard and it worked great. I started looking for them in bulk for him and can't locate a source . I always used plain old 1/8 th with no guards on them. Surely someone makes these with the little wire guards? He uses a tube bait with them under a bobber over brush. Seems to hang very little but said his cost was too high for a retired guy on a fixed income. Just trying to find him a good buy.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure how many you want but Grousefly just made me some with a single wire guard. PM him, I am sure he can hook you up.
    Ohio State Board moderator
    www.easternbuckeyecrappieclub.com
    or [email protected]
    NAFC Life Member

Post Thanks / Like

depending on how many you consider bulk....try grousefly....nightprowler...or crappie plus 816-686-5159...weedless is the only way to go...maybe check out some with the white bristle gaurd also.....

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

I just got 1/16 and 1/8 Ygaurd jigs from nightprowler. the 1/16 have a smaller Y gaurd and both are very nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a problem with the bite? What I mean by that is does it make a difference in how many bites U get on weedless vs. no weed guard.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question How would you know ....

Quote Originally Posted by Boone1 View Post
    Is there a problem with the bite? What I mean by that is does it make a difference in how many bites U get on weedless vs. no weed guard.
    Boone, there's probably really no way to actually tell whether or not you get more or less bites on any certain type of jig .... unless you can time travel & repeat the experience. :p

It hasn't seemed to make any difference, in my experience. And I look at weedless jigheads as a plus .... since I get hung up less with them, which means I've got them in the water more & in more snaggy cover, which equals a better chance at having my bait seen (& eaten)

Weedless jigs are not the "be all, end all", by any means. They're not all that good for trolling, and they can & do get hung up. They are, however, "less likely" to get hung in heavy cover, than a non-weedless jig. I'm mainly a jig slinger & dock shooter, preferring to put my jigs into downed trees, brush piles, and in/around/thru the branches of standing trees ... so, for me, a weedless jighead allows me to do that & expect to get the jig back, more often than not.

Most peoples concerns, about weedless jigs, is whether or not the guard will keep the hook from getting into the fish :rolleyes: .... not whether or not the fish will actually shy away from biting it. Since I've been using weedless jigs, of one sort or another, for around 30yrs ... I haven't noticed a decline in the number of bites, or an increase in the number of fish getting off. When I get a bite, & set the hook, I'm always pretty sure that I'm going to hook that fish and get it into the boat !!

I've used, basically, three styles of weedless jighead : wire loop, fiber brush, & Y guards. The wire loop style was Oldhams Sure-Lock ... but they're no longer in production. Just as well, IMHO, since the wire loop was so thin that it was easily bent into an unusable shape. The Y guard style was one that a local had made, & was sold in a local tackle store. I liked them, and they worked well. When I was down to my last one, and the local connection was long gone, I asked Grousefly to duplicate them. I've been using his for the last 10yrs. They're still my favorite To be honest with you, I was one of those "doubters" about weedguards, back before I started using them :o ... and especially towards the fiber brush types. Grousefly made me some, and I tried them out ... and my doubts were crushed after catching many a good fish on them :D

Here's a thread to read, from back in 2007. In my reply posts, you'll see a pic of the two styles of weedless jighead that Grousefly makes for me. You'll also see where I give some tips about how to avoid hanging up a weedless jig. http://www.crappie.com/crappie/kentu...ppie-rigs.html

... cp