Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plastic 2 man trolling motor help?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Plastic 2 man trolling motor help?

I am new to crappie.com and am looking for some help. I researched some old threads on this topic but am looking for some new input from your experiences.

I purchased a Bass Hunter EX...basically a 9.5' X 4' two man plastic boat. I am looking for a trolling motor. The boat's primary use will be crappie fishing in small waters. Most of the time I fish with two long poles, one in each hand.

Based on that, the Motorguide Bulldog with 40lb thrust seemed the perfect option as it mounts on the bow with a transom mount bracket and has a foot control; however, it's a 5 speed and my concern is the slowest speed will still be too fast (while fishing) for a small boat like mine.

The other option I am entertaining is the transom mount style, hand control, with the variable speed. Benefits to this option is more versatility on boat speed and better battery draw efficiency....like the MinnKota Traxxis.

That being said, can anyone provide experience with the Motorguide Bulldog 40 on a small plastic boat? If it's not too fast at the slowest speed setting it is what I would like to buy.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any input on that trolling motor, but I would recommend a rudder of some type on the rear transom. Otherwise you'll have a real problem maintaining a straight line.

eric

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bass4x4 View Post
    I don't have any input on that trolling motor, but I would recommend a rudder of some type on the rear transom. Otherwise you'll have a real problem maintaining a straight line.

eric
    Thanks for the reply...I did buy a rudder from Bass Hooligans. The rudder was an accessory made by Buster Boats for their Pond Hopper and it fit perfect. Just clamped on the transom mount.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish out of a similar rig with a 28 lb minn kota classic and like it. Slow and won't win a race but perfect for bayous and pits. At the same time, u wont make it through much current without draining a battery fast if u don't have some close spots too put in

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a pic of The Bucket:

Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar rig for the strip pits. I had a 5-speed 35lb MK that was size just about right. If it's too fast, buy a spare prop and shave the ends off the blades until it runs like you want. Just be careful to balance it so it doesn't vibrate on high.

Post Thanks / Like

I would go a small as you can get My first boat was a 9' pond hoper and the 35lb five speed and it was to fast. I am not sure about cutting the prop down I never tried that one but I found an old 20lb foot control at a yard sale and it worked the best.

Post Thanks / Like

anyone that has one of those boats and don't have a rudder on it will not believe how much better the boat does with a rudder. like night and day in handling. i built my own rudder and it's hinged where it will ride up over anything underwater and let back down and will hing over into the boat for loading on/in whatever. and it didn't cost 51.00. maybe 7.50 at the most.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Cutting props down works fine. I cut this Minn Kota 23 down for my pontoon here. Was too fast to fish with. Perfect now.

Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

CB is that the back of the boat does it have a built in Rudder, Duckhunter has a great idea he done on the one he got from me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast