Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anchor ????

barrelslime is offline Moderator White Bass/Striper/Hybrid Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default anchor ????

I just purchased a Triton 17 foot boat. Plan to buy 2 navy style anchors, for front and back, and wonder how heavy an anchor to hold a 17 foot boat. Mostly soft bottom is what i fish. I dont think 2 12 lb ers will hold it. What do you guys use?
    Personal Best 17 1/2"
    " Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

2 12s should hold it easily. Just make sure to use enough rope. At least 3 times the depth. More rope means a better hold.

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of triton? I have the 17 triton V bottom and it sets so high in the water that two 15lb bells wont hold it if the wind is over 10 mph.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 17' Javelin and a 15lb Navy on the front with 3' of chain and a 10lb mushroom on the back won't hold in moderate winds more often than not even with a lot fo line out off the bow. I am going to try a Danforth style on the front this year for better penetration in the soft bottom of the lakes I fish and move the navy anchor to the stern.

Post Thanks / Like

I would rather have way too much anchor than not enough. I use two 30 lb. anchors with a long rope. In real rough conditions, I would point the nose of the boat in the wind, let out some line and then drop the other anchor to keep it still. I was able to fish when most had already headed to the dock.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barrelslime View Post
    I just purchased a Triton 17 foot boat. Plan to buy 2 navy style anchors, for front and back, and wonder how heavy an anchor to hold a 17 foot boat. Mostly soft bottom is what i fish. I dont think 2 12 lb ers will hold it. What do you guys use?
    If you are fishing primarily soft bottom, I have had no problems using 3 blade river anchors. I have four 15lb. on Anchor Mates. One on each corner. Have anchored in 20+ mph with no dragging. My deepest water is around 40ft. We use only one anchor unless positioning. Typically use 1 bow and 1 stern depending on the wind.

I carry 2 18lb. Danforth style with 15' of 3/8" gal. chain on 300' of 1/2" for emergency purposes only, and have only used one once when we had a bunch of boats tied up to us for a fireworks show.

You can see the style of anchor hanging against the pontoon in this picture. Designed and built for soft bottom application. Available around Louisiana and trust me, we've got soft bottom in all the lakes. Sand bottoms in the rivers, and they hold fine until the currents get beyond fishable. BPS, Cabela's, and almost every bait shop and boat dealer has them.

One of those 15lb. 3 blade anchors (starboard bow) is holding her in this picture, and you can see the flag stretched out.
    Name:  IMG_1104.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  71.7 KB
    "Hello, My name is Bill, and I'm a tackleholic"

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 15 and a 10, and they hold in any wind. The same set up did not work for a while, unti I learned the correct way to anchor. There is a science to it, and a lot more to it, than just throwing it over the side. Once you learn the right way (not saying that you don't) what you have should work.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

barrelslime is offline Moderator White Bass/Striper/Hybrid Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a VT 17 aluminum boat.
    Personal Best 17 1/2"
    " Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

Forgive the lack of class, but have found a 10" cement block will almost always hold on a soft or sand bottom...

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like I have overkill based on what the rest of you use.
    I have a little 14' and use 2- 15lbs Navy Anchors on 100' of 1/4" rope and never have a drifting problem.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast