Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question for you minner guys

Post Thanks / Like

Default question for you minner guys

I need a fishing fix next week..thinking about hitting the marina..might get a dozen or so minners for 1 rod and jig with another.

Should I add cold water to the bucket?Never used them in the winter..and I'm thinking going from 70F water to 33F water will kill them instead of just shocking them.

any comments or suggestions welcomed...also should I go with the smallest,or med?Fish them aggresivly or just sit under a float?

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

You don't need to cool the water any this time of year. It will cool down on it's own. As far as size, match the size of what they are feeding on. Slow and slower.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

The marina is about 20 ft. from the area I fish...so they have about 20 seconds to cool down.

Post Thanks / Like

Put them in an insulated bucket and that will give them time to adjust to the change in temp,i've had them live for days with ice frozen over the top of the bucket they can handle the cold a lot better than the heat,the shad,minnows etc the fish are feeding on right now will be the biggest of all year so i don't think you could hurt yourself by using the medium size and definatly under a bobber would be the best presentation,good luck Cook.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Guess I didn't explain...I'll buy them inside the marina where its warm,at least the tank will be in the mid60's...pay for them and walk 20 feet and start fishing-no time to let them adjust..thats why I was thinking to add some of the cold lake water.Ya'll will know better..maybe dead or not so lively would be better?

Post Thanks / Like

most of the bait fish are dying or dead in this cold water, so it dont matter to the fish, buy em put em on and catch fish.

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

You may shock them more by adding cold water to your minner bucket. I'd just buy them and start fishing

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all!Ya'll came thru again!

Post Thanks / Like

A few summers back in the hot weather I just let my minnners stay in the bucket as I got to my spot. They were all dead when I got there. Now, the first thing I do in hot weather is get my baitwell full and get them in lake water as fast as I can. I haven't lost but a handful since then. When the temperature gets below 7o, I don't do anything and they seem to last as long as I can fish. Oh, by the way, only mediums for me. I also put a nibble on sometimes, sometimes not. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm guessing most of you know this trick, but figured I'd throw it out there. I fish from the bank and use a styrofoam minnow bucket. If it is hot out, I'll put a little frozen ice pack in the bucket and it usually keeps the water cool enough the minnows won't die (at least for a few hours).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast