Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat set-up night fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat set-up night fishing

All, I need some ideas on setting up my boat for night fishing as in a light system under water or above and placement ???? Years ago I went out with my grand-father and boy did we catch the crappies at night. Now it's time for me to take out my grand-children as I want them to have fun also but without those darn bugs..... Thanks for the help...
    "May Your Fishing Dreams Come True"

Fish Detective

Post Thanks / Like

The method I use and I believe it is very simple is as follows:

* (2) Green sticklights from BPS. Drop one over each side of the boat.
    * (2) Poles per person, one in the rod holder, one in the hand (drop the one back in the holder that doesn't have the fish on it.
    * some type of light onboard that you can turn off when your not baiting your hook, I have a simple light with clamps that hooks to the same battery as the green lights.

Just that simple and it works. I try no to leave on a light in the boat the whole time or it attracks bugs. The ones over the sides are in the water so they don't bring the bugs into the boat as much. Some people submerse there green lights, but I just leave mine on the surface. It's fun for the younger ones to watch all the fish that they attract that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Tarheel, do you fish close to some structure? And can you use a blacklight to see your line. Never done any crappie fishing at night. Good post fish detective.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tarheel
    The method I use and I believe it is very simple is as follows:

* (2) Green sticklights from BPS. Drop one over each side of the boat.
    * (2) Poles per person, one in the rod holder, one in the hand (drop the one back in the holder that doesn't have the fish on it.
    * some type of light onboard that you can turn off when your not baiting your hook, I have a simple light with clamps that hooks to the same battery as the green lights.

Just that simple and it works. I try no to leave on a light in the boat the whole time or it attracks bugs. The ones over the sides are in the water so they don't bring the bugs into the boat as much. Some people submerse there green lights, but I just leave mine on the surface. It's fun for the younger ones to watch all the fish that they attract that way.
    Tarhell,
    Do you think the green lights draw fewer bugs than a white light? I was night fishing under the bridge at Jordan last summer and we were using a lantern to light the inside of the boat while some people close to us were using a green floating light to light theirs. We were mugged by tons of bugs and it didn't look like they were bothered at all even though they had it mounted inside the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

We always use 2 lights.....on green on the surface but we use the white flaoting till we get some bait fish around us I just dont like the glare of the white all night....In side my boat I have rigged 2 low amp light strips one in the front and one in the back you get zero glare and you canget around in the boat without tripping all over everything
    I dont mind fishin in the RAIN!!! My boat LEAKS anyways!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

When do you start fishing at night?
    Also what do you fish over? Deep water? Flats with stumps?
    And do you have to wait a long time for the fish to follow the bait near the boat?
    Anyone using the new LED lights in the boat to see by? See a boat last weekend that has them on the roc holders. Plenty of light and does not run down the battery.
    Pete

Concord N,C home lake, High Rock, tuckertown
    Post Thanks / Like

guys for some great info on night fishing check out the South Carolina forum, sounds like thats all they do, they will get you in the right direction.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SFD1542
    Tarheel, do you fish close to some structure? And can you use a blacklight to see your line. Never done any crappie fishing at night. Good post fish detective.
    I've always used green light with short poles. The poles aren't far over the green light so you can see the tips. Some people paint the tips of their poles, but I haven't gone that far...... yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scales
    Tarhell,
    Do you think the green lights draw fewer bugs than a white light? I was night fishing under the bridge at Jordan last summer and we were using a lantern to light the inside of the boat while some people close to us were using a green floating light to light theirs. We were mugged by tons of bugs and it didn't look like they were bothered at all even though they had it mounted inside the boat.
    I have no doubt that the green attracts less bugs. Fished all last year at High Rock with Green lights and never once used bug repellent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SFD1542
    At night, I try to fish structure if available, or if not then I try to fish points leading to shallower water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast