Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fishing Table Rock

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing Table Rock

I live on Table Rock and want to do some crappie fishing. People tell me all the fish are up around Cape Fair but that's a long boat ride for me. Is the reason the fishing is so poor because lack of natural cover or is there some other reason.

I talked to an old boy out in front of my place one day and he said he used to catch hundreds of crappie right in front of my house but now that most of the trees have rotted down to just a stick, they aren't there any more.

Do you think that if I put out some condos I can rehabitat that area or other areas as well?

Post Thanks / Like

Where you at on the lake?
    There's a better population of Crappie down Long Creek Arm this year.
    Cape Fair has been poor this year and so has Aunt's creek.
    Population could be down due to a number of reason. Less cover, poor spawns and excessive amounts of Kentucky Bass. Could be any one of these, none of these or a mix of all three reasons. It's any bodies guess.
    As far as structure. Definately drag some cedars off the shore line and sink 'em on break lines. We need all Crappie fishermen on TBL to put natural structure in the lake.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

My guess is that the kentucky bass are so fat that they look like foot balls and are eating all the small crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kit Papermouth View Post
    Where you at on the lake?
    There's a better population of Crappie down Long Creek Arm this year.
    Cape Fair has been poor this year and so has Aunt's creek.
    Population could be down due to a number of reason. Less cover, poor spawns and excessive amounts of Kentucky Bass. Could be any one of these, none of these or a mix of all three reasons. It's any bodies guess.
    As far as structure. Definately drag some cedars off the shore line and sink 'em on break lines. We need all Crappie fishermen on TBL to put natural structure in the lake.
    I live across from Mill Creek. You are right, there are a lot of fat Kentuckys in the lake. I'll put in as much cover for the little guys as I can. I would like to catch a few too. I would think the crappie could produce fast enough to keep ahead of the Kentuckys.

I used to fish Lake Fork in Texas and there were lots of big bass but plenty of crappie too. The clear water here is a big change from what I am used to.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Missouri.
    That part of the lake is not known for good crappie populations. 2005 was a real good year up the tributaries, but the crappie population on the part of the lake were fair to good during the bunker years.
    I do recommend light line 6lbs. or less and live bait on the clear parts of the lake.
    Beagle has lots of info. on the Viola end of the lake.
    I fish the James and Long Arm Mostly.

G.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

I can't help but believe that putting out some cover will attract them and encourage some populations.

Post Thanks / Like

Lake fork texas. We fish lf twice a year. Great lake. We fished for crappie for part of a day. Did good. Crappie just as big on truman. Lots closer. Clear water most likley the biggest reason. Just my 2 cents worth. Like kit says longcreek is the place to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Talked to a fellow couple days ago.......said his buddy was having real good luck down at baxter springs. Nerver fished there, but might be worth a try.
    I just KNOW it was a big one!!!
    Mike