Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Line

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing Line

I have used several different lines and types of line to fish for Crappie. Currently my reels are spooled with 10# SpiderWire or 4# FluroCarbonm line. I also use some 20# Berkley Big Game on my "Bubba RIG". But I would like to talk about the other lines.

I use the 4# Fluro on my reel when I am fishing in open water. We have alot of submerged large logs here in our WV lakes. And I like to to slip bobber fish over top of those sunken logs. The Fluro works pretty well for that. Then I use 10# Spider Wire when I fish in the heavier stuff. Then I went to a light wire hook(red hook). This allows me to get alot of jigs back or they may straighten out, then I just take a pair of pliers and rebend the hook.

What types of line do you guys like to use?? Tom.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Hogg ...

(made in USA version) Mr Crappie Super Hi-vis 4lb mono is on most of my reels. I also have PowerPro 10/2 hi-vis braid on one, Sufix Elite 4lb mono on one, and even Spiderwire 20/6 braid on one. My fishing partner uses Stren Gold 4lb mono, as have I. And I still have Stren Gold 4# test mono, and Vicious copoly clear/blu (in several # tests) as backups.

But, there is some method to the madness :p

The Mr Crappie USA version has served me well, but is now being made in China ... and member reports have not been so favorable for the new version. I'm testing the Sufix on an outfit that I use often, in order to see if I like it well enough to consider switching to it, once the Mr Crappie spool is empty. My PowerPro outfit is primarily for casting Roadrunners & Whirley Bees ... so that I have a shot at getting them back, should they get hung up Now, the Spiderwire outfit is strictly a minner/float setup that I use to use in the Fall, for fishing standing Cedar trees ... but, it hasn't seen action for several years :o (it was lake specific)

I'm mostly a jig slinger & dock shooter ... so 4lb test mono is as "sporting" as I want to get :D
    Even though I use it on 5' to 9' rods, that are UL to med power/fast action, it seems to be adequate for the job. Using 1/32-1/16oz jigheads w/plastics is 90% of my game. And 99% of the time, those jigheads are of the weedless version. (so, I have no fear of putting my jigs into some heavy cover, when necessary )

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

trileen xl 6lb or power pro 10/2

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Stren 6# clear for slip bobber and stren or vicious 4# clear blue for casting jigs.

Post Thanks / Like

6# vicious hi-vis, jiggin stumps 8# hi-vis vicious

Post Thanks / Like

6# Seaguar CarbonPro fluorocarbon (I bought a couple of spools because I heard they were going to quit making it) The right knot is important because you will lose knot strength with many of the others. It is recommended to use a Double Uni Knot with fluorocarbon. This is a good video to see how it is tied. Takes more time but is worth it.

YouTube - Best Knot for Fluorocarbon

Post Thanks / Like

Use 15 pound Power Pro Braid on all rigs wheter pushing jigs or pullin cranks.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Sales and service on Directv and Wildblue internet
    Owner of Sickle Jigs.
    Slab Bandit Pro Staff

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Mr Crappie Hi Vis 6# on my longlining rods and 8 # trilene on my spider poles. 6# trilene on my night fishing rods.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive been using Mr. Crappie 4lb Camo for years and dont have any complaints at all. I longline,tightline, dock shot and jig with the same line, although when I tightline I use florocarbon leader.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using 4# Mr Crappie hi-vis (usa) for awhile. It does the trick, but lately while creek fishing i lose alot of jigs and slip floats
    Slab Stik'r Jigs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast