Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Solar line replacement

Post Thanks / Like

Default Solar line replacement

Just wondering if anyone has found a good hivis line for jigging? I have tried the Iron silk and am not impressed. Every other trip I have to strip off the used line and retie. It seems it gets very brittle.

Thanks

Steve

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Steve, I agree with your assessment of Iron Silk. However, Trilene Sensation is now made in Solar Mint. Bass Pro & Cabelas do not stock it yet. Berkley sent me a couple of spools a while back and I really like it. You will probably have to go to a local tackle shop and have them order it through Berkley until BP & Cabelas wake up. Let me know how you like it.
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I'll see if I can find some.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Iron Silk

I haven't found Iron Silk to be any worse than Stren Gold ... and actually better, overall. I use the 4lb and 6lb tests - and have only found, that on small diameter reels, the line will coil a bit. But, after a few sprays of Berkley Reel Magic and/or a little time in the water - it seems to be a bit more forgiving. It will break quickly if it has a knick in it ... but, then so do most other low pound test lines.
    I use Sensation in "photochromic" - and like it fine ... so I will keep my eye out for it in the "hi vis green".
    I re-spool a couple of times a year, whether or not it is obviously necessary ... and more often if I use that particular reel alot. I just wish BPS Excel came in a hi vis color .... but then, it would probably have the same tendency to coil as the other "colored" lines. Must be something in the coloring process that makes the lines stiffer and retain memory more.
    I'm in the process of testing out Stren Sensor line against BPS Excel .... will elaborate more on that, later in the season. ...........luck2ya'll ............cp

crappie god Guest

I like Cabela's Ripcord with silicone.

Post Thanks / Like

Oksrt55, Have you ever tried Fire Line in the green color? I use it for everything but slip bobber fishing.It takes a little getting use to,for there's no give in it like mono line.
    :D Give a man a crappie you feed him for a day...teach a man to fish for crappie and get rid of him for the weekend!!!