Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish Finder Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fish Finder Question

So I just got my first boat for Christmas and it came with a cheap fish finder, a Garmin 95 which is the OEM version of the Garmin 90. The transducer is mounted to the transome and my guess is that it looks straight down.... OK, so I really only know enough to know that I don't know... stop laughing!

Here's what I want to do. I want to troll along a bank where there are many brush piles, I'd like to be on the outside of the piles, putting them between my boat and the bank, this way if I can see the brush piles I can mark where they are, does that make sence to anyone other than myself

So to do this couldn't I just turn the transducer sideways? Of course if that works I would only be able to scan out one side of the boat but would it work?
    Daisy BB Guns - Keeping Kids Off Your Lawn Since 1882

Post Thanks / Like

It might just work, to show the brush piles, but as you said the water depth won't be correct. here's what I would do, get one these, Cabela's: Cabela's Transducer Mounting Plates
    It's a mounting board for your transducer. With this installed, you could try several different positions for the transducer and you won't have to drill a bunch of holes in your boat's transom.

Post Thanks / Like

Aha! I thought this hair-brained idea might just work. To be honest this fish finder is the only thing about this boat that I want to upgrade as soon as possible. I saw this morning that BassPro has the Eagle FishElite 480 GPS/Sonar combos on sale for $229

Eagle FishElite 480 Sonar/GPS Mapping Combo

Thought this might be a good upgrade at a great price point.

Post Thanks / Like

lot of people turn the transducer sideways, and it will work just fine. you could probably get two and a interface switch and swithc from one to the other, that way you wouldn't have to be stuck with one position.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

if you upgrade to new unit take transducer from factor unit buy or build a pole mount and use it as a scanner for brush piles and stumps.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G3Jockey View Post
    Aha! I thought this hair-brained idea might just work. To be honest this fish finder is the only thing about this boat that I want to upgrade as soon as possible. I saw this morning that BassPro has the Eagle FishElite 480 GPS/Sonar combos on sale for $229

Eagle FishElite 480 Sonar/GPS Mapping Combo

Thought this might be a good upgrade at a great price point.
    I have two of these units and can only speak good of them....I love em...they arent the nice-est thing out, but they get the job done and have worked very well for me...

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the comments & info everyone. I did indeed purchase the Eagle 480 yesterday. The BassPro in Broken Arrow has them on the shelf priced at $249.99 but I had them check the website's "sale price" and got it for $229.99. It took me about 4 hours to remove the old one and install the new one. Took it out on Oologah today and it was pretty awesome. Spotted all the brush piles and logs at the ol' Spencer Creek fishin hole. Did have a problem with losing the sonar display at high speeds, documentation for the unit says it can hold the sonar at 70mph so I must have something set wrong in the menus.

Thanks again!

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Might double check transducer mounting in relation to bottom of boat. could be getting air bubbles if it is mounted even with bottom of hull. I had to mount mine about 1/4 inch below bottom of hull to get good speed reading. 16ft aluminum boat.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

use the one that came with the new boat untill you fine out how to use it right...
    then when you buy a new one you will have a better idea what you want on it, and what you want it to do...
    J.I.L. <*)}}}><

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You should like that new 480. Maybe even consider getting a navonics chip for it. If I were in the market I'd be taking a look at 'em. Color is nice...but not mandatory.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast