Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tipping jigs with shiners

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tipping jigs with shiners

I have not done any of the fishing with figs tipped with shiners. I hear that it is very effective at times. What I need to know is what size jig to use and how to hook the shiner. Lip, back, or through the eyes? Do I suspend fish the rig, or drop shot ?

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, Jigs tipped with shiners.*

Post Thanks / Like

I have had success hooking through the lips. Also had success pinching the head off and hooking through the body. I have vertical jigged either way.
    Slab Stik'r Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I like doing it that way in windy weather when I am floating bait over top of sunken brush piles. The state puts alot of X-Mas tree fish locators in our lakes here in WV. And I float a jig with a minnow on the hook over top of the tops with a slip bobber. Especially when it is windy. The wind gives me al the jigging action I could ever want, but the lead jig head keeps the minnow from bouncing all over the place by the wind. I bring the hook back out the top of the minnow. Not great at all for keeping the minnow alive. But as I said I let the wind take care of the jigging action. Then I just let the bait sweep over top of the tree tops while letting the wind push and jig the bait. This allows me to set the boat back off the brush piles about 15 yards or so, and still "sweep" across al the tops. Tom.

Post Thanks / Like

Through the underneath of the lips and out the nose, it will look like the minnow is eating the jig. That's what has worked best for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad View Post
    Through the underneath of the lips and out the nose, it will look like the minnow is eating the jig. That's what has worked best for me.
    Ditto
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

yep, very effective technique.
    I've pulled jigs and roadrunners with the minnows nose hooked with success.
    With 8 rods and 2 sets of hooks Mr. Wally says it's like having your own bait ball.

I have been hooking deeper from the jaw to behind the head for a more solid set.
    A lot of those old smart fish know how to sneak up from behind and pull that lipped minnow off.

The biggest thing to remember is the hook gap.
    You have to have enough space between the hook tip and anything you have below it, whether it's a jig body or minnow.
    That's why I like a #2 hook for everything.

If I'm straight lining with still water I will Dorsal hook them and they put on a good show trying
    to run in circles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boone1 View Post
    I have not done any of the fishing with figs tipped with shiners. I hear that it is very effective at times. What I need to know is what size jig to use and how to hook the shiner. Lip, back, or through the eyes? Do I suspend fish the rig, or drop shot ?
    if u dont mind explain drop shotting to me? as far as i know i have never done this.

Post Thanks / Like

hey, Keith
    We've got about 3 good threads going on that.
    They are linked in this one:
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...g-crappie.html

Post Thanks / Like

Minnows is a waste of time unless you are lazyman fishing.
    Allatoona Bandit

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast