Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: If You was a fish?

Post Thanks / Like

Default If You was a fish?

I fish a shallow lake, less than 17 foot deep. During the spring i have caught some good fish there so i know the slabs are there. My question is this, during the winter with water temps around 45 degrees, where will the fish be at? Would i look in the channel and fish close to the bottom? Or would they be around the wood cover and i would just slow down my bait presentation? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
    I'm so broke, I cain't even pay attention!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I would try both until i found the pattern to catch em and when you think you've slowed down slow down some more they won't chase too far in the winter.....don't forget to look at some shallow water as long as theres deep water nearby,we had 38 degree water temp and caught fish in 6'-8' fow last week but the old river channel was close by.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Some one else mush have an idea?

Post Thanks / Like

I'd fish deep and slow, with small baits or minnows
    I clever quip fishing ironic statement crappie!

Post Thanks / Like

i agree with bugman and king crappie. in the winter months here u dont see anyone fishing shallow. we all spider rig with small minnows, extremly slow. sometimes we sit still for a bit then pull up anchor and drift back and sit some more. i think the key in winter is slow and small presentations. i usually do try to fish through the stumps. reelfoot is full of stumps and u are hung up all the time, most the time its worth the hang ups. we usually fish on the bottom or 1 to 2 foot from the bottom, if we catch 2 fish at the same depth then we put all lines to that depth.

Post Thanks / Like

This lake is a small oxbow off the bayou macon. Most of the lakes around here are shallow. I know the fish don't go south for the winter! :D i just have been wondering what to try!

Post Thanks / Like

I've been fishing the same,cuttoffs of the mason this year. I have fished 3-9 ft deep in as deep of water i can get. I haven't been in 2 weeks but plan to go this weekend possibly.
    The fish were bitting yesterday, The fish will bite tomorrow,,, today I must buy my fish

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Bugs too. Also, you might want to look for deep pockets and pitches on flats that are close to the channel too.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave