Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk Boats---Please

Post Thanks / Like

Default Let's Talk Boats---Please

I am in the market for a new Crappie Fishing boat. First I will tell you what I have. Then how I want to change it. Looking for tips, possible places to buy(I can travel to buy), And particular boats that fit what I am looking for.

What I have right now is a 16' Bass Pro Grizzley(Model 1648). Tiller motor. 25 and 9.9 HP. What I do not like about the boat is the casting platform.

What I would like to get:

FIrst of all I only want aluminum. Second I want either a 16' or an 18' boat. Minimum bottom width of 54". Preferably 60".

I want a tiller model only(thought about side steer,, but decided against it). Preferably 40 or 50 Hp. I will keep my 9.9 for limited lakes.

I am a handicapped person. There is where I am finding difficulty in what I want. First off the boat can not have a front casting platform. I can not step up onto that platform.

I want the boat to have a completely flat floor, from "stem to stern" they say. No cross seats in other words.

I already know what type of trolling motor and seats and such that I want. But would still be interested in seeing photos of what you may have for better ideas.

I always fish with a second person. And I always position myself in the front. So I want to set it up where I a run the trolling motor and electronics from my position in the front. And the back guy runs the main motor.

I have looked at the 18' G3. Tht boat is close to what I want. Anybody have any good ideas??

I aam looking for something that is not overly priced, but yet fairly comfortable. However all I really need is the basics. Just a good way to put the basics together. We spend 45-60 days a year Crappie Fishing and another 30 or more days a year in the boat fishing for catfish. I am hoping to keep this in the $9.000--$12,000 range. Thanks, Tom.

Post Thanks / Like

My thinking is that since most of the more popular boats are production run you might find one of the shops that customize the bowfishing boats and they might be able to take like a bare grizzly and build it just like what you want.
    living life to its fullest, This is not a dressed rehearsal.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you thought of a 'Stick Steer' boat? <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Call F&F in Arkansas, my buddy bought a boat from there, they made it custom to his specs. Took awhile (almost 1 month longer than expected) but the cost was very reasonable and he is very happy with it. They will make it however you want.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a 1860 from F&F two years ago. Doug is the guy to talk to. He will let you spec it out however you want it. Mine is 18 long, 85 inch beam, 60 inch bottom. Front/rear casting decks, rod locker and 4 other boxes.He only builds with .125 thick alum. PM me if you are interested in the price I paid. Good luck with your search

Post Thanks / Like

Ive heard great things about F&F and legendcraft boats also made in arkansas. Legend Craft Inc Ive heard war eagle will custom build boats too. I know you said that you didnt want a stick steer boat. But I own one and love it. I seat down in the seat and dont have to get up to start fishing. War eagle makes a 754VS model which puts the livewell on the side of the boat so its open from front to back. Its rated for a 60HP motor. War Eagle Boats - Boats - Stick Steering Models - VS I hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Chatt View Post
    Have you thought of a 'Stick Steer' boat? <*)}}}><

Yes I have. But I ruled it out. I talked to several boat mfrs. and dealers about a stick steer. They all said the same thing. Anything over 25 HP is dangerous to run with a stick steer. A few even said a 25 HP motor can be too much.

I definitely want a 40 or probably a 50 on this one. I plan on doing some southern trips with this boat onto some of the bigger southern lakes. So I definitely want the bigger motor.

Plus I have access to a private dock and place to stay on our largest lake here in WV. That is Tygart Lake. And where we Crappie fish is a pretty good run. A smaller motor just isn't going to cut it. Plus we changed our camp on Sutton Lake. We are in the process of building a small cabin there. And that puts us on the lower ramp, so a little bit of run is also going to pop up on our home lake of Sutton. Tom.

Post Thanks / Like

A G3 Eagle 165PF might be just the boat for you. It's a 16 foot stick steer boat that's rated for a 50HP motor, open front to back. Take a look at it on the website at g3boats.com
    Daisy BB Guns - Keeping Kids Off Your Lawn Since 1882

Post Thanks / Like

`
    Quote Originally Posted by G3Jockey View Post
    A G3 Eagle 165PF might be just the boat for you. It's a 16 foot stick steer boat that's rated for a 50HP motor, open front to back. Take a look at it on the website at g3boats.com

I have been looking at the G3 boats. And I have actually been offered some good deals on a few new G3's.

I am just not sure about the stick steer for the above reasons I pointed out. Plus I really do not need tthe stick steer. I have to have a partner in order to be able to fish. So I can not see a good reason to pay extra for the stick steer when a tiller motor is so easy for the second person to operate?? But the G3's do have some of the best layouts for what I want. I especially like their 18' model.

The 1860 is the model I was considering. Even though it has a front casting platform. I do not like that platform, but in an 18 footer that is 60" wide I would have enough room to fish from the floor section. That boat would be perfect if I could take out the platform and make it into a 16 footer?? Oh well I can wish for what I want. Or talk to one of the custom guys a few of you have told me about. I am definitely going to look into them. Tom.

Post Thanks / Like

I had an F&F 1752 stick steer with a 50hp Merc. It was open with a center live well. Stout built boat, but the stk steer will beat you to death in rough water. Have a friend with the same boat with a 50hp tiller steer. F&F will build whatever you need.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast