Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Oklahoma Indoor Crappie Fishing Spots

Post Thanks / Like

Question Oklahoma Indoor Crappie Fishing Spots

In my search for winter accessible crappie I ran across an article by Bob Bledsoe which started my searching several lakes in Oklahoma to find the spots he talked about.
    Here is a statement from the article:
    "Boatless anglers can also fish in one of the many heated crappie docks available at some Oklahoma reservoirs. Texoma, Grand, Fort Gibson, Eufaula, Tenkiller, Keystone, Hudson and Oologah are some of the lakes that have heated docks; at these, anglers can fish for a daily or annual fee. There are probably public docks at other Oklahoma lakes as well.
    I perused Google and had very little success. Don't know if the crappie barges in Oklahoma are an intentionally well-kept secret or if I'm just a klutz when it comes to putting the right stuff in to do a good search.
    I did find some possibilities and will probably call to check them out.
    Grandpappy Point-Texoma,Little Mineral -Texoma & Cedar Mills-Texoma were three that popped up in my search. I've heard tales of great crappie fishing at Eufala, but have never been. Apparently Grand Lake is very well-developed and may have several indoor spots, but I couldn't find them.
    If any of y'all can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. If it is a "fer piece" from the house it would probably be best if there were accommodations for lodging. Anything over a two hour drive is a "fer piece" for this old codger & the wife may insist on coming and bringing a couple of chihuahuas.
    Hope everyone is staying toasty and catching lots of slabs.
    I'm not doing real great here in Texas, but am catching a lot of dinks. Sometimes a hundred or more with only three or four keepers. I've read of folks catching lots of crappie and hope they aren't just fish tales. I've seen some pics of nice strings of crappie on the TFF Crappie section, but I don't know if I'm ready to pay a guide or able to navigate some of their creeks or lakes in my kayak. I dread the thought of a dunking in cold water/weather. Might be my last fishing trip, and I'm not in any hurry to depart this good ol' earth.
    Wishing all a Happy New Year with lots of "thumps" and the resulting tasty fillets!!

rodgerole
    Rodger Ole Oleson

Post Thanks / Like

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Should be a fun trip. Good luck to you.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I fished one on Lake Lawtonka outside Lawton,OK in the 70's and it was fun. When the fish aren't real active it makes for a boring day cuz there's only so many presentations you can use. Your trip sounds like fun, but I would take my own boat and pick my days and make the best of it. Fishing the large floating docks on some lakes where houseboats are used is also a good way to go and keep your feet dry, but permission to get on them can be a problem. I hired a guide on Lake Weiss in AL a couple of years back and it was worth every dime. The fish shut off at about 9:30 that day but we had the right guy and no other boats were getting any either so we knew it wasn't our lack of experience. Good luck with your plans, hope it comes together and you have a good time.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks folks. I'm digging around to get the distances and find out what amenities are offered at some the crappie houses from your posts. Most of them seem to be a couple hundred miles or more, but I don't think I've located all of them on Texoma yet.
    I appreciate your help.

rodgerole

Post Thanks / Like

I am absolutely happy to be on here! I grew up around Lake Eufaula and I have been gone a long time! As a kid, I would go to Molly Brown down in Fountainhead Park! I am home, with my amazing wife, helping my sick mother...she hasn't fished in years! Being diagnosed with Cancer and actually doing ok...she want to go Crappie fishing again!!!!!!! Amazing! With that being said, lots of our old spots have now been developed and such. Do you guys have any spots outdoor that might be easy access that could produce a fish or ten...LOL. I am not looking for you hole...just a nice easy spot, to sink a minnow with my Mom, and enjoy our great state and some crappie! Any information would be awesome!!! Thank y'all!!!! Tight Lines!!!! -Smitty

Post Thanks / Like

Oologah has not had a heated fishing dock in at least 15-20 years.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OUSMITTY View Post
    I am absolutely happy to be on here! I grew up around Lake Eufaula and I have been gone a long time! As a kid, I would go to Molly Brown down in Fountainhead Park! I am home, with my amazing wife, helping my sick mother...she hasn't fished in years! Being diagnosed with Cancer and actually doing ok...she want to go Crappie fishing again!!!!!!! Amazing! With that being said, lots of our old spots have now been developed and such. Do you guys have any spots outdoor that might be easy access that could produce a fish or ten...LOL. I am not looking for you hole...just a nice easy spot, to sink a minnow with my Mom, and enjoy our great state and some crappie! Any information would be awesome!!! Thank y'all!!!! Tight Lines!!!! -Smitty
    Smitty, go into the Oklahoma forum so you can get Mo Happy! You'll personally meet all the Crappie Fishermen you want and a lot of them are on Eufaula.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry