Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jet motor or not????

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jet motor or not????

Guys I need some help. I am looking to buy my first boat. I have been looking for awhile now and have seen a lot of boats. The question I have is what is better to have, a jet motor or propeller motor? I will be fishing a lot of creeks and also spider rigging, pushing cranks and long lining. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Jets are typically used by people who fish shallow rocky rivers. Performance wise, a prop motor is best. Just my opinion.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I would rather have a prop motor with a stainless steel prop.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

If you fish shallow with a jet prop motor, the jet picks up the small gravel and sends them through the motor - thus requiring a trip to the mechanic with a large down payment on new parts. 2 stroke out board prop motors are near bullet proof.

Post Thanks / Like

Props are the only way to fly!
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Sales and service on Directv and Wildblue internet
    Owner of Sickle Jigs.
    Slab Bandit Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I have a jet drive, and it's great for shallow rivers, but you lose about 30% of your power through the pump. I change my jet for a prop drive if I'm going to be fishing lakes mostly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rockmike View Post
    I have a jet drive, and it's great for shallow rivers, but you lose about 30% of your power through the pump. I change my jet for a prop drive if I'm going to be fishing lakes mostly.
    that was another question i had. is it a pain to change a jet drive over to a prop?

monkscrappie is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Spider rigging and Jets are not a good combo. Jets are designed for shallow running in rocky areas. Believe me, that is not an area for spider rigging.

Monk Monk's Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

If you do a lot of trolling or spider rigging I do not think you will like it. Without a prop in the water the back end of the baot blows around with any wind.

Post Thanks / Like

I run a jet and love it. Its a necessity on some of the rivers I fish. The worse part is the 30% power loss but if you gotta have it then there is no question a jet is the way to go. If you can manage without a jet, then definitely go with a prop.

There are some good fishing spots that I could never fish without a jet. I can think of several times having a jet meant catching fish versus getting skunked due to allowing me to fish a lot more water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast