Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: First B&M pole,Help

Post Thanks / Like

Default First B&M pole,Help

Okay, I know this probably a really dumb question, but here it goes. I purchased my first 12ft pole. A B&M cadillac. The problem I am having is stringing this pole. Could someone please post a pic, of one of these strung. Do you just tie line around pole down from eye, then tread through eye. Thanks in Advance......Dwayne

Post Thanks / Like

Just tie 10' or 11' of line to the tip. That's it, unless you have the "Cadillac Combo" where the line runs through the center of the pole. I don't have any experience with that one.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Not familiar with that model, but if the line runs through the pole you need a snake of sorts to chase it through. Some come with a piece of stainless wire to do this, but a piece of heavy mono will do.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

it is just a standard pole, it is not the one the one runs through. Had a little piece of paper with it. It said don't tie to eye on end, but to tie down from tip. problem I was having was when you get a strike, what keeps line from sliding up pole. Thanks for the help and input....Dwayne

Post Thanks / Like

Default B & M Pole

Dwayne, my wife and i use these poles and when we tie the line to the pole about 10" behind the rod tip we put a small piece of electrical tape around the line and pole at the knot, hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

I have several of these poles. I have the 13' and the 16'. Academy has the 16' for $2.88 at times. Anyway, I usually cut the eye off and file the inside smooth. Then epoxy a small glass bead to the end. Then cut a hole in the handle section and run the line throught the hole and out the glass bead. There is some other sanding and some epoxy work. But it works really well. I usually use spiderwire braided line. Another way I like to use is to go to BPS and purchase the eyelets for the poles. I again cut the eyelet off the end. Side the appropriate eyelets on and epoxy a new eye on the end. Then I usually tape a cheap plactic reel ( $1.88 at Academy) to the handle. Either rig method allows you to flip a jig in some deep cover or under docks.
    Good Luck and tight lines.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys for all your help, you have given me some great ideas, once again Thanks...Dwayne

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Dwayne .. if it's just a standard collapsable type rod : what I'd do is - wind some line around the line keeper, then wind around the blank (just above the line keeper) & run a piece of tape around the blank & line at that point .... then wind line around the pole in a spiral (about 1 wrap every foot or so) until you get to the tip eye. Tape line wraps as necessary. Run line thru tip eye and loop the line for about 3 wraps around the tip eye (helps keep line from overextending the rod tip) ... then peel out 12' of line & cut. Attach whatever "equipment" you intend to use, to end of line ... & you're ready to fish. But, you will be limited to around 10' of fishing depth (+/-) ... though, you will, however, have line in reserve (spiralled around rod & on line keeper) if you break off any portion of your 10-12' main line. Unloop the necessary length from the line keeper, & pull the line thru the tape wraps & tip eye .... until you get your 12' of main line available, again.

You "can" tie a knot at the tip eye ... but it's not always necessary. Putting a piece of tape around the line/rod just below the tip eye should keep the line in place. You just don't want to tie/wrap the line at the tip eye, in such a way as to cause/allow the last few inches of the rod tip to be bowed (bent) in a short curve. This is how rod tips are broken. They suggest that you don't just tie your line to the tip eye, so that if the tip should break (under pressure) you don't lose the tip & line & equipment tied on. With the line spiralled around the rod, even if the tip does break ... you don't lose everything.

.. cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Cp, I will try that, had an idea to do something like that. Just was blurry on a couple things, that you cleared up. once again Thanks......Dwayne