Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: football rule that needs to be changed

Post Thanks / Like

Default football rule that needs to be changed

I know that something had to be done about some of the silly and taunting celebrations and excessive celebarations that took place after scores. I do not know exactly how the rule is worded, I am sure something to do with drawing attention to yourself. However I feel like some of these stupid calls that officials make are crazy. The problem I guess is drawing the line between excessive and non excessive. My problem is, I have seen the rule ruin several games for something that 99% of people would not consider excessive, yet it gets called. The last example was in the bowl game today between Kansas State and Syracuse. Given I do not have a dog in the fight cause I am not partial to either team, I feel like KS was robbed of a chance to tie the game at the end. It ruined a bowl game for many people. Sure Syracuse fans loved it, however KS fans were robbed, right along with those football fans who just wanted to see a classic ending to a football game.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree 100% Did you see the North Carolina-Tennessee game? The officials could have called at least ten celebration penalties. I wish they would just let them play unless the celebration is vulgar.

Post Thanks / Like

it is completely at the discression of the ref, something needs to be done for sure......as far as im concerned college football ends at the end of regular season, bowl games are meaningless and their tv ratings are dropping, soon they'll lose sponsors and when money stops lining pockets, they'll find a way to get it back....a playoff system
    I can only wish to be as good as my dog thinks I am

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I watched that game. I feel like the officials let them play ball and did the right thing. Yes they could have thrown the flag because it was worse than what the KS player got called for. However, it was not excessive and it did not taunt anyone or anything like that. The only call I dissagreed totally with in the TN game was the personal foul on the leading with the helmet that helped NC get in field goal range to tie. He more than likely wouldnot have made it without that penalty. I do not have a dog in that fight either, but I watched the replay several times and he did not lead with the helmet, you have to see the right angle of it. He hit him with his shoulder pads. It was a clean hit and it probably cost TN that game. I think the coaches should have a challenge on atleast one questionable call as well as a questionable play. Officials sometimes make terrible officiating calls as well that affect game outcomes just as much as a bad spot call or something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by EARL KITCHENS View Post
    I agree 100% Did you see the North Carolina-Tennessee game? The officials could have called at least ten celebration penalties. I wish they would just let them play unless the celebration is vulgar.

Post Thanks / Like

fishinrod, I think there needs to be a warning flag before anything is assessed yards wise. this was a completely game ruining stupid call. If you watched the TN game you would have seen the same actions and worse not get called not even once. Also it did not cause a problem in that game. Sometimes you just gotta let them have fun and then if you think it is a problem give them a warning first. That is my opinion. As far as the bowl games go, the ratings may be dropping but they are still making lots of money. I would love to see a playoff myself though.
    Quote Originally Posted by fishinRod View Post
    it is completely at the discression of the ref, something needs to be done for sure......as far as im concerned college football ends at the end of regular season, bowl games are meaningless and their tv ratings are dropping, soon they'll lose sponsors and when money stops lining pockets, they'll find a way to get it back....a playoff system

Post Thanks / Like

i agree that they should loosen the rules on excessive celebration but the kids know the rules and if they decide to break them ohh well they should be punished. Even if its a game ruining call , all the kids are aware ahead of time what they can and cannot do, Are we to be throwing warning flags on pass interference and holding calls on long kickoff runbacks?

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Political correctness has caused a lot of the loss of interest in college football. Only time I watch football anymore is when everything else is reruns.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

kids are aware of pass interference and things of that nature, those are not judgement calls. Yes they know they need to keep things under control, but it is hard not to make some kind of gesture after scoring or whatever. It is really a nonsense penalty and totally different that plays like holding that and things that affect the plays themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by IceManCometh View Post
    i agree that they should loosen the rules on excessive celebration but the kids know the rules and if they decide to break them ohh well they should be punished. Even if its a game ruining call , all the kids are aware ahead of time what they can and cannot do, Are we to be throwing warning flags on pass interference and holding calls on long kickoff runbacks?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieseeker View Post
    kids are aware of pass interference and things of that nature, those are not judgement calls. Yes they know they need to keep things under control, but it is hard not to make some kind of gesture after scoring or whatever. It is really a nonsense penalty and totally different that plays like holding that and things that affect the plays themselves.
    i forget what coach it was but he was famous for saying something to the effect like, act like you been there before. i agree that its a judgement call and i think the ncaa should make it either no celebration or just let them loose to do whatever , even so im not looking forward to a bunch of 19 year olds doing the electric boogaloo in the endzone when they score a touchdown in the final minute of a game where there team is losing 62-3

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieseeker View Post
    fishinrod, I think there needs to be a warning flag before anything is assessed yards wise. this was a completely game ruining stupid call. If you watched the TN game you would have seen the same actions and worse not get called not even once. Also it did not cause a problem in that game. Sometimes you just gotta let them have fun and then if you think it is a problem give them a warning first. That is my opinion. As far as the bowl games go, the ratings may be dropping but they are still making lots of money. I would love to see a playoff myself though.
    i watched both games, and like said, the call is totally discreetionary (sp).....its up the individual ref........here in NC they had a high school playoff game where a player made a TD and went to one knee and pointed to the sky....the flag was thrown and then it turned into a publically religious debate
    I can only wish to be as good as my dog thinks I am