Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Floats for trolling?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Floats for trolling?

I just wanted to see what your thoughts are on floats. Every spring I see a lot of folks using floats while trolling, I have seen times when they were catching fish and I was not. I just wanted to know what kind of floats do you use and what size you use. Give me the pros and cons on the floats.
    Thanks,
    Lynn

Juiced Up Baits Pro Staff
    K2 Coolers Pro Staff
    Mike's Custom Crappie Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

i use small round ones when the wife fishes with me in the sping but would rather not use any at all

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the Thill bobbers.....they come sized according to jig weight.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

we have this year experimented with pushing / spider rig type fishing with floats........I honestly cant say why it makes a difference & in theroy shouldnt...but we have had a day or two that it did....I used/use reg ole thill slip floats.....when we push with out em I use a bobber stop on the line to make sure I have em at the same depth everytime, so its nothing to do w/consistant depth far as I can tell......maybe it has more or les bounce or action on the rig for some reason????

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blueball View Post
    i use small round ones when the wife fishes with me in the sping but would rather not use any at all
    I really don't like to use them, but last year I was fishing Reelfoot and there was a boat trolling pretty close to me and they were catching 6 crappie to my 1 crappie! Now maybe they were just in a hot spot, but they did limit out that day. I'm trying to open my mind to trying different things, I'm very bad about get comfortable fishing one way and not trying anything new. (Lazy) He!He!:D:D:D

K2 Coolers Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G3 Fisherman View Post
    I like the Thill bobbers.....they come sized according to jig weight.
    Thanks G3 I checked them out last night.

K2 Coolers Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeepguyjames View Post
    we have this year experimented with pushing / spider rig type fishing with floats........I honestly cant say why it makes a difference & in theroy shouldnt...but we have had a day or two that it did....I used/use reg ole thill slip floats.....when we push with out em I use a bobber stop on the line to make sure I have em at the same depth everytime, so its nothing to do w/consistant depth far as I can tell......maybe it has more or les bounce or action on the rig for some reason????
    Thanks JGJ, I'm just trying to see what everybody is doing.

K2 Coolers Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of folks in My neck of the woods use 3 inch cigar floats with a heavy split shot above the hook. That way it weighs the float down and only have about half or a little less sticking up. If a crappie breaths on it, You know it. Cigars don't wobble as much going through the water either.CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I seen the same thing happen as crappie4me2! I watched a guy on Weiss easing along spider rigging and wearing them out! I dont think I will try it as I am just now learning to spider rig and I am having my hands full just tying up regular rigs without adding the cork to my dilema! Lol
    An ungrateful man is like hog under a tree eating acorns, but never looking up to see where they come from!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiefarmer View Post
    Lots of folks in My neck of the woods use 3 inch cigar floats with a heavy split shot above the hook. That way it weighs the float down and only have about half or a little less sticking up. If a crappie breaths on it, You know it. Cigars don't wobble as much going through the water either.CF
    CF i have seen a few folks use them also.
    thanks, lynn

K2 Coolers Pro Staff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast