Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What reel for my Crappie jigging pole...

Post Thanks / Like

Default What reel for my Crappie jigging pole...

Hello.

I have a 12' Uncle Buck's Deluxe Crappie jigging pole. This one: Uncle Buck's Deluxe Crappie Pole

It came with the Uncle Buck's Deluxe Round Crappie Reel. This one: Uncle Buck's Deluxe Round Crappie Reel

The problem is... I don't really like it. However, I haven't been jigging for Crappie long enough to know if this is really the best reel for jigging.

What do you guys think? Is there another reel you would suggest?
    "I come from a state that raises corn, cotton, cockleburs and Democrats. Frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."- Willard Duncan Vandiver

Post Thanks / Like

Small lightweight spinning reel is all you need. The lighter the better for jigging all day. Any 15 to 20 buck reel will fit your needs.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Quantum Optix 10. I have several and was quite suprised at the quality of these reels.
    We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

x2
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

All you need is something to hold a little line. The smaller and lighter the better. I use the $5 plastic reels.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by feelay View Post
    All you need is something to hold a little line. The smaller and lighter the better. I use the $5 plastic reels.
    I guess I don't know which ones you're talking about. Do you have a link or a more specific name of the reel?
    "I come from a state that raises corn, cotton, cockleburs and Democrats. Frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."- Willard Duncan Vandiver

Post Thanks / Like

I like to use the underspin reels (trigger spin) on my crappie rods. pg 122 and 123 in 2011 bass pro catalog - Pflueger- item#21-340-236-00; Daiwa underspin XD-item#21-351-076-00

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

X2 on the underspin. I have both brands and pretty rough on equipment. no problem with either.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I use a little ice fishing spinning reel Real light and cheap about 7.00 It only holds like 100yd of 6# and they do have a drag.

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by keyser_soze View Post
    It came with the Uncle Buck's Deluxe Round Crappie Reel. This one: Uncle Buck's Deluxe Round Crappie Reel

The problem is... I don't really like it. However, I haven't been jigging for Crappie long enough to know if this is really the best reel for jigging.
    For jigging, that is the only reel I will use. I love it. Light, easy to use. The only downside of the reel, is that there is a small plastic stop that wears out, and when it does, the drag no longer works. The reel will click and let out line.

The upside is that my buddy Hogster1 on here, takes them apart, replaces the plastic stop with a small metal one that he makes. Once he mods it, it'll last forever. The weight difference between that reel and a spinning reel on a jig pole is huge. The uncle bucks is super light, and you can fish all day and not even notice you are holding a 10ft rod with reel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast