Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: your #1 choice of reel

Post Thanks / Like

Question your #1 choice of reel

I'm new on here so sorry if this has been ask before. I have messed up a few good reels in the past winter fishing. Seems like the ice caked on the bail destroys the spring. Just wondering what reels you prefer and how they hold up winter fishing? I am a shimano fan should I change?

Post Thanks / Like

been using the shimano's for over 30 years, no problems, I have 30+ rods with them on there, and only one off brand reel.......... I order extra springs from st. louis and keep them on had, but haven't broke one for over 5 years.
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

Please do NOT ever feel bad about asking about something on this board, thats what is what its all about. I like Pflueger, but reels are like cars everyone has their pick. The only thing about a Pflueger is if you get them wet inside than you have a problem. I've found that alittle wd-40 helps with this. Good luck on your pick and get what you want and fits your needs.
    Monk

Post Thanks / Like

Please do NOT ever feel bad about asking about something on this board, thats what is what its all about.
    At least until we get to know ya. Then we will be on ya like a dog on a bone. LOL!!!! All in good fun. I like Pflueger, but I dont drop em in the lake or leave em out in the rain.
    Likes Warrensburger LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Zebco 33's for me on 10-12 ft jig poles....Shimano on my short rods.
    The zebco reels work well in the cold and are real cheap at garage sales.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Plfuger and quantum. But there isn't anything wrong with shimano's either.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I go with cheap uncle bucks bait caster for jigging. Not to picky about spinning reels either, go with the lightest I can find. I've bought a 70 reel before, it didn't do anything that the 20 dollar reel did.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll tell you my least favorite, which may be the best way to talk about equipment. I bought a wally marshall spinning reel, and baitcaster, and they were the 2 biggest pieces of crap that I have ever used. Will never make that mistake again.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm wondering if a front drag would be better? I have always used the rear drag because of the " quickfire" flip trigger. I don't like flipping the bail by hand. If a front drag reel would make it through a winter I would learn to start flipping the bail by hand. Do you think this makes a difference?

Post Thanks / Like

I've never been a fan of the flip trigger myself. You still have to reel to close the bail, or close it by hand. I can't imagine why it wouldn't work fine for winter though. The way you fish, makes your choice of reel very important for yourself. The amount you spend is strictly a personal preference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast