Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Advise needed for pony head jigs and powder paints

Post Thanks / Like

Default Advise needed for pony head jigs and powder paints

Has anyone used powder paints on Pony head jigs? I could use some advise on how to best work with them. Having trouble with getting the paint on the crane swivels.

Is another type paint better for pony head jigs?

Need some help, please!!!
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, duane......it can be done but it's a hassle and time consuming. Just remove the blade and old paint, heat and dip. When hardened, you will have to work on the swivel to free it up. After about a dozen, you will be ready to go back to a paint brush and spend the saved time fishing. I tried cutting the original swivel off, powder painting, and using a new swivel, attatching w/ small split rings. Even more tedious and time consuming. I now use Testors model paint and they're done, plus drying time. There are specialty paints for jigs, and most are expensive. Some of them will give you a buzz as you breathe the vapors, very unpleasant! Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

If you are molding these yourself and painting before the spinner assembly - take a coffee straw, cut to the length of your swivel and slide over the swivel before you drop the powder. Then 4ake an open fla-e - I use a Benú-o-Matic torch to heat the heads. This approach gives you the versatility to set the paint and keep the heat low enough as to not melt the plastic straw. After the paint is set, remove the straw and finish assembly with your split ring and spinner.
    Enamel paints (Testors) are good as well, as they can be dipped or sprayed. The down side to enamels on jigs is how brittle the paint is. You'll have to do an epoxy top coat if you want to keep the paint job intact. (or the correct mix of oil based lacquer and epoxy makes a strong paint) That is your option though - not necessary for just painting the heads.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just got reply from Component Systems

Yesterday Component Systems (the maker of PRO-TEC Powder Paints) replied to a letter I had written them about this same problem.

They more less said it maybe best to use another type paint on this jigs. He did say I may try a high temp masking tape. Just need to find where I can get a roll of this at, to try.
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead