Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cadron Crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cadron Crappie?

Went fishing on the Cadron today. My first time to fish it. I put in at the access between Wooster and Beaverfork. I decided to try it because it was out of the wind and it was such a nice day I wanted to get out on some water. I only caught one, but it was a real nice one... 17 1/8". I 'm curious if any one else ever fishes the Cadron and if so what kind of success have you had? I'd sure like to catch more slabs like the one I caught today, so if anyone can give me any advice or input on fishing the Cadron I'd appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like

Dont have any advice for fishing Cadron but sounds like your doing ok. Man thats a real nice hawg you caught.

Post Thanks / Like

I've wondered about Cadron many times as I've crossed it. It's a beautiful creek and looks crappieish. Would really like to know more about it also.

Post Thanks / Like

Never fished it, but it's a nice float in the spring.

http://southwestpaddler.com/docs/arkansas5.html
    Last edited by Woohdog; 02-17-2006 at 10:34 AM.
    I think I got one...

Post Thanks / Like

I have grown up around Cadron creek but never fished it, I livedin the Quitman/Pearson Area and the water is usually really low and I was young and not as into fishing as I am now. How was the water where you put in? How deep? I am doing some research on it and I am really going to hit it when it gets warm. I like in Jacksonville, and am tired of fishing the same places, I hope this will be a change. Were you in a canoe? Is it big enough for a jon boat? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Hi DM, Yes you can use a jon boat. I was in a 1550 semi-v wareagle w/25hp on it. It is shallow right now and full of logs and stumps so you have to be really careful. I ran on shallow drive or used the trolling motor the whole time. The one fish I caught was the only bite I had the whole time. I really don't know much about it, I was hoping someone here would have some info as to if it gets better when it warms up.

Post Thanks / Like

I will just use a trolling motor on a 16ft jon boat or maybe a canoe. I am going to try probably around the 124 bridge, I am going to look for a better map, i am looking at mapquest.com and cannot find some the roads I see on other maps. I might try to wade it depending on the flow. But like I said it will have to get warmer!!! I might drive up this week when I have some time to find some good access points, from what i have read there is a lot of private land.
    I love fishing these types of creeks........as long as something is biting.
    I have to scout for fishing holes now...Turkey season is coming!!!

Post Thanks / Like

The Cadron at the 124 bridge is the North Cadron, the Cadron at Conway (between Beaver Fork and Wooster) is the East Cadron. The North Cadron from the 124 bridge to Mill bridge (just north of GUY) and from the Mill bridge to US 65 are good floats in the spring and early summer when there is enough water. Lots of perch and spotted bass, few crappie. Not enough water in these streaches to put in and go down and get back up, float down stream only and usually have to drag some, even in a canoe. Upper float is about 9 to 11 hours depending on the water level and how good the fish are bite'n. From Mill brigde to 65 is too long to float in a day if fishing.The put in/take out at the mill bridge sucks, you have to drag the boat several 100 feet up to the bridge so its just about canoe only.
    East Cadron from the put in on the old highway (bwtween Conway and wooster) down is more of a wide slow lowland creek than the clear fast Mountain creek of the North Cadron. Lots of locals crappie and bass fish the East Cadron from this put in all the was to the Ark. River, At times its great. Another good put in is go west at Wooster to the Shaw bridge, Game & Fish has a ramp there. This creek is big enough to run about any size boat you can put in, usually the deciding factor is water level and how good the access ramps are. The water levels now are very low due to the dry spell, usually there's a lot more water than now except maybe in late summer.
    Last edited by samh; 02-20-2006 at 08:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed some of the maps I was looking at showed Cadron Creek being all over the place. I knew the parts I have been driving past were shallow except for after a good rain, but I am sure there are deep spots somewhere. i guess it will be a shoot and miss until I find a good spot, but dont worry, I will tell you all about my catch........after I catch them ALL!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I just talked to my dad who lives around Quitman and he said a guy that used to work for him would just walk down the north part of Cadron Creek wading and ducking behind trees and catching a lot of fish, mainly bass with some crappie!!! I will have to try my jig and spinner and tare em' up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast